Vertical vs Horz workout?

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_domineaux
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_domineaux

Vertical being -

Doing one set of an exercise then moving to another exercising another muscle group after a short rest interval.

Horizontal being -

Doing one set of an exercise and repeating the same exercise after a short rest interval.

-------------------

It looks to me a vertical type of workout would be more effective when you're doing multiple sets of an exercise. It just seems to me if you were doing 11 exercises and you cycled through the entire 11 exercises with one set and then repeated the cycle your muscles would be better conditioned to handle the second cycle sets with more strength and less strain on the nervous system.

Also, you can finish the workout sooner because your rest intervals between exercises would not be near as long as you'd need by repeating the same exercises in succession.

---------------------

I'd appreciate reading comments on this.

thumbs-up.gif

I think most people would find it a bit extreme to perform 1 set of 11 exercises and then do it all over again with the second set (or third, fourth etc.). This approach resembles cyclic training and is generally used for cutting with short rest intervals, therefore increasing aerobic capacity.

A far more common practice is supersetting with 2 (or even 3) exercises, usually antagonistic muscle groups, as this allows you to do more in less time. I remember Bryan himself mentioning in another thread that he almost always supersets in order to save time.

Cheers,
Dimitris

I get what you're saying.

I'm not thinking all together of saving time as much as I am of being more physically competent to perform the exercises.

When I'm adequately energized supersets aren't a big issue nor is recover time. If I lay off the carbs or creatine I do have difficulty recovering between sets.

Back