Vitamins with or without Iron

Franko

Could someone explain to me why I should want one with it or without iron? I've done some searching on the web and really didn't find any good information.

I just bought some vitamins AST 32X... anyone take those or recommend another good multi?

I've been hearing a lot about animal pak too. Anyone tried that?

-Franko

You are a male, right? You have plenty of iron already then, unless you are starving yourself or donating blood on a regular basis. Iron is only needed in a multi for women, since they lose a significant amount of iron for a one week period each month.

''Iron is only needed in a multi for women, since they lose a significant amount of iron for a one week period each month.''

poor creatures.

I just picked up some iron.

Hey, somebody had to say it!
laugh.gif

Tot,

Are you sure of that statement? It would seem to me that IF you eat plenty of red meat then your statement would probably check out.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 12 2007,18:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just picked up some iron.

Hey, somebody had to say it!
laugh.gif
</div>
Nah, I'm still on the pink plastic weights ;)

Anyway, here's the NIH sheet on iron supplements - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202305.html

Basically, if you're eating a reasonable diet and not losing blood regularly, you should be fine. The amount of meat bodybuilders tend to eat means that iron shortage is v unlikely to be a problem (and if you're eating a good diet and are still anaemic, you should see your doctor). Iron supplements cost money, can cause negative side effects, and aren't likely to do any good.

<div>
(nipponbiki @ Jan. 13 2007,02:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tot,

Are you sure of that statement? It would seem to me that IF you eat plenty of red meat then your statement would probably check out.</div>
We are on a bodybuilding site. If you aren't eating plenty of meat and other foods containing iron, then you are, in my opinion, starving yourself.

Seriously, if a guy is anemic, there is something seriously wrong.

Tot,

Please read my post carefully.

I specifically said RED meat.

Are you meaning to say that ANY meat will contain enough iron?

Are you meaning to say that red meat is the only meat that contains iron? Maybe you should do some looking around on google about iron content of various meats. Turkey, for instance, has plenty of iron.

Tot,

I am not so much wanting you to provide information that I can of couse look up myself. Rather I am expecting you to back up your rather oversimplified statement.

Maybe that is what YOU should do instead of always telling others what they should do and acting like everyone is an idiot because you think the world is such a simple black and white affair.

He doesn't need to back up that all meats contain iron. That's a fact. Everyone should already know that, and if you didn't before, now you do.

Albiet red meat contains about twice as much iron as white meat, with the amount of meat most lifters and BBers eat it shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, I checked it up on google just before I made that last post just to be sure. Turkey, as I mentioned, has a lot of iron. A basic search turns up several sites.

This one has a nifty table showing iron amounts of various foods: http://www.umm.edu/blood/aneiron.htm

You can see that there is really no reason for any bodybuilder with even a halfway decent diet to be iron deficient unless they have some serious issues.
I apologize if I offended you, when you said that someone must have a diet high in red meat to have enough iron. That was a rather bold statement for you to make though.

Tot,

It's OK. Sorry about my first post. I wasn't trying to make any statement at all actually. I just wanted to make sure that you were not assuming that everyone has easy and cheap access to and therefore eats alot of red meat like Americans do.

Anyway, sorry about that. Definitely don't want to sound like I am making any bold statements.

If you wouldn't mind, Tot, I would really appreciate it if you could explain why you felt that way or how you read my English that way? It might help me to understand American culture and thought processes better.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It might help me to understand American culture and thought processes better. </div>

It isn't so much American culture and thought processes as it is watching how you say things on this board. You have been around long enough to understand the HST board culture and logic.

To assume is to make an ass out of you and me.
wow.gif

<div>
(nipponbiki @ Jan. 16 2007,01:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you wouldn't mind, Tot, I would really appreciate it if you could explain why you felt that way or how you read my English that way? It might help me to understand American culture and thought processes better.</div>
Probably mostly because I'm actually a jerk who tries to pretend to be a nicer person than I actually am?

Heh.

No, really, it was because you said this:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
It would seem to me that IF you eat plenty of red meat then your statement would probably check out.
</div>

Since you specifically said 'red meat' I assumed you meant red meat. Don't worry about it though. It's over and done.

Haha Colby you have to write it :

To ASSUME is to make an ASS out of U and ME, otherwise it doesn't make sense to someone who hasn't heard the expression before!

laugh.gif

Tot,

OK, cool. Anyway, I think I got it why you thought that way.

Hehe, don't think you are a jerk, just very very blunt. If I looked at you through Japanese eyes, though, MAN! you might be the biggest jerk on these forums! But I think it's cool that there are so many different personalities on this forum. You definitely make it interesting and funny sometimes.

Colby,

Yes, I have definitely been around this forum for awhile. But, I tell you, it IS hard to talk in English sometimes. Not because of grammar or anything like that. It's the difference in cultures and how things are worded to communicate certain emotions.

It doesn't just happen on this board. I always get confused by how to word things! My thought process goes like this &quot;If I word it the Japanese way, it sounds polite and a little modest. But wait, you know that wording English that way to Western minds doesn't sound right and will probably be taken the wrong way. (so i try to word it like something natural) Crap! Look at that! It's so rude and arrogant!&quot;

Then, alot of times I end up trying to somehow mix the two to create an equilibrium. Doesn't really work though.

It takes ALOT of subtle finesse and the ability to kinda &quot;read minds&quot; to communicate properly in Japanese and I definitely find that that kind of thing goes right over Westerners' head!

Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

Hey, you don't need japanese eyes to think Tot is a jerk! But we like him anyway! Heck, we're ALL jerks now and then! We don't even understand each other at times, let alone with crossing cultural lines and languages. Then you have the difficulty of print, which doesn't convey emotions, intricacies, expression and meaning.
The very worst thing I've seen was online singles clubs. NOTHING is as it seems! Not to mention that all the girls lie about themselves!
On this forum we forgive and forget and get on with our objective. (BB'ing) There will always be unintentional misunderstandings. I often wonder if you guys in other cultures understand some of our crude humor. ( like calling Tot a jerk?)

Back