Volume AGAIN

RAMROD

Hey guys. New meat here
biggrin.gif
Please bare with me as I attempt to explain what Im wondering about
biggrin.gif

Ive been checking out the Total Reps/Volume Threads round here. Looks like the typical volume per bodypart is around 20-30 total reps. Now, this is normally a workout involving 5-8 exercises. So, 100-240 Total Reps performed per workout.

The idea concerning volume, seems to be... do the most you can do, without over stressing the CNS. Not easy to balance optimum volume with too much, too little. But, most seem to recover well doing 100-200 total reps per workout.

My question is... Is it total volume that is the issue or is there such a thing as too much per bodypart. In other words, if less total exercises are performed, can more volume be done per bodypart as long as total volume is the same??

As an extreme example to make my question painfully clear
laugh.gif
If one were to perform only 1 or 2 exercises in a workout...say the Bench Press and Rows, is performing 100-240 reps on these 1 or 2 movements the same as spreading them over 5-8 exercises? OR would this overtrain these bodyparts...

All input is appreciated

Yes, per bodypart is critical.

I can easily do 30 reps/bodypart with 6-7 exercises corresponding with different bodyparts. That is roughly 200 total reps for the whole body. No problem.
Doing 200 reps for say just chest or just chest/back as in your example would destroy me and I couldn't do it three times/week for sure!!!
wow.gif

So, there is a definate limit to the volume a bodypart can handle, no matter that the overall volume is in reason.

If using a small number of exercises, any idea on optimum volume per bodypart/exercise.

Ive read Waterbury suggesting 36-50 reps when training at 70-80% of 1 RM and 24-36 reps at 80-90%

http://www.t-nation.com/readTop....=651322

you also have to realise there is no such thing as a total isolation exercise,every exercise you do will work another muscle.

i think the recomendation is between 30 and 60 reps.

but do as little as you need to grow,then as you stop growing do more.

<div>
(RAMROD @ Nov. 15 2007,15:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So, there is a definate limit to the volume a bodypart can handle, no matter that the overall volume is in reason.

If using a small number of exercises, any idea on optimum volume per bodypart/exercise.

Ive read Waterbury suggesting 36-50 reps when training at 70-80% of 1 RM and 24-36 reps at 80-90%

http://www.t-nation.com/readTop....=651322</div>
For whatever reason Watebury catches hell for this recommendation...but IMO after year and years of training I think it pretty damn accurate.

Too much volume is only bad if its henders your ability to increase load....and frequecy...but more importantly LOAD.

TOO many people think they overtrain when in fact they don't.

Dont be afraid of overtraining it happens a lot less than people claim.

Just don't let volume become priority over increasing weights with HST.

<div>
(faz @ Nov. 16 2007,03:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but do as little as you need to grow,then as you stop growing do more.</div>
yes. go download the hst faq and read it extremely well. and you&quot;ll see exactly what he means and how extremely important that is.

Have to agree. My wokouts have gone from 28 sets total per workout (in my first cycle of HST) down to 13-15 and I gained more on the less sets (or I would have stayed higher). I mean Im assuming other factors helped as well but I dont think that its all about a specific number.of reps (as that is obviously going to depend on where in the HST cycle you are)(time under load may be more important but...?) another factor is if your body is trying to fight off colds and being run down (which happens to me all to often these days!?!?!?) its proably not going to be building to much musle at the same time.
Cheers

Any given person's tolerance for or ability to recover from a certain amount of reps or sets is dependent on many, many factors. Things such as age, sex, muscle fiber make up, training age, teststerone level, diet, sleep, stress, etc. all play a factor. In my twenties, I was a high volume/low frequency buff and would do up to 20 sets per body part with workouts lasting about 1 1/2 hours, 6 days per week. In my 50's, I was more of a high frequency/low volume fan; usually 6 full body workouts per week of two sets per body part. In my 60's, I now do low volume with moderate frequency; 4 sets per body part twice weekly even though my test levels are double what they used to be thanks to my endochronologist. I have gone from working out 10 hours per week to my current 2 hours per week. Each was what worked for me at the time based on my goals. It takes experimentation to find out what will work for you at any given point in time. There is no generic workout that will work optimally for all people all of the time.

Back