Volume/frequency question

chiefhog

Currently SDing and am starting my 1st cycle of HST on Monday. I am planning on a MWF routine. I am totally free on Fridays and am thinking about repeating my workout on Fri. evening, so I have 2 workouts on Fri. That'll give me 4 full-body workouts/wk.

This extra volume seems to be in keeping with the "rules" of HST. Am I correct? Thanks for the help.

I would split Friday's volume in half and do half in the morning and half in the evening assuming, of course, that the weekly volume you had originally planned for thrice weekly workouts was already adequate.

Is there any benefit in doing the split? The only thing I can think of is that you'll have more energy, and that you could possibly add a few sets or exercises.

OK. Thanks O&G. I'll probably just stick with the prescribed MWF schedule. My planned workout is as follows:

Squat (leg press alt)x2
Leg curl (SLDL alt)x1
inc benchx2
flat benchx1
BO rowx2
chinsx1
shrugsx1
military pressx1
lateral raisesx1
calfraisex2
standing bb curlx1
skullcrushersx1

Colby

Based on the Chief's posted workout, I would split it as follows:

AM:

Squat
Leg Curl
Incline Bench
Dips
Chin Ups
BO Rows
Military Press
Calf Raise
BB Curl

PM:

Leg Press
SLDL
Incline Bench
Dips
BO Rows
Pull Ups
Shrugs
Calf Raise
Skull Crushers

I took some liberties in switching a few exercises to fit my personal taste. Please not that the total volume went from 16 sets to a total for the split of 18 sets. I would split it this way to slightly increase volume, increase frequency, have shorter (about 30 minutes each) but more efficient and rewarding workouts, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ July 06 2005,9:37)]Is there any benefit in doing the split? The only thing I can think of is that you'll have more energy, and that you could possibly add a few sets or exercises.
read vicious' pimp my hst e-book for a more thorough explanation of why the split is better.
to sum it up, it's easier on your cns, it covers summation, and as per one of the basic hst rules, doing 10 sets in two spaced workouts is better than doing 20 sets at once.

Back