Volume, rep raprange ++

Nils2u

Hi!

I've gathered a few questions that I'd like to get an answer to before I start at my next cycle.

FYI: My program is the following (M, W, F):

15's
A:
- Squats 1x15
- Dips 1x15
- Pulldowns (narrow) 1x15
- Rows 1x15
- Militarypress 1x15

B: (the same nr of sets goes for the B-part)
- Deadlifts 1x15
- Pulldowns (wide) 1x15
- Incline benchpress 1x15
- Militarypress 1x15

10s:
A:
- Squats 2x10
- Stiff Legged Deadlifts 1x10
- Dips 2x10
- Pulldowns (narrow) 2x10
- Rows 2x10
- Militarypress 2x10
- barbellcurl 1 x10
- Incline Barbell Triceps Extension 1x10

B:  (the same nr of sets goes for the B-part)
- Deadlifts 2x10
- Leg curl 1x10
- Pulldowns (wide) 2x10
- Bent over rows 1 x 10
- Incline benchpress 2x10
- Militarypress 2x10
- Concentration Curls 1x10
- Close-Grip Bench Press  1x10

5s:
A:
- Squats 3x5
- Stiff Legged Deadlifts 2x5
- Dips 3x5
- Pulldowns (narrow) 3x5
- Rows 3x5
- Militarypress 3x5
- Barbellcurl 2 x 5
- Incline Barbell Triceps Extension 2x5

B:  (the same nr of sets goes for the B-part)
- Deadlifts 3x5
- Leg curl 2x5
- Pulldowns (wide) 3x5
- Bent over rows 2x5
- Incline benchpress 3x5
- Militarypress 3x5
- Concentration Curls 3x5
- Close-Grip Bench Press  3x5

- The same goes for week 7&8 (will include dropsets)
- Abs and calvs will be trained at s,t,t
- The program will be used for deff...

Any comments to the program? Any missed musclegroups, other flaws?

- When I calculate my 15, 10, 5 rm max should I take into consideration that I'll in the 5 rep period will use 3 sets for the compound exercises? I.e calculate my (3x5) max?
- Instead of using the 15, 10, 5 rep blocks some prefere to decrease the reps every week (13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 5+). Will you then train near your max rm (as you'll do every 2 weeks if you follow the 15, 10 ,5) before you hit the second week of the 5s? Or will you train at approx 85% all the time until the 5s?
- I see some people like to have a constant volume throughout the program, while others tend to have a decreasing volume... What's the main advantages and disadvantages to them both?

- thanks, (and sorry folks for the poor english) - Norwegian...

- Nils2u

Welcome Nils2u

Your program looks solid, The only thing I'd possibly change would be the wide grip pulldowns, and one question. Why pulldowns and not chins?

Whatever the case, use close grip underhand grip for either one you choose to do so that it hots your biceps for times you are not doing isolations (And if you are not into chins yet! GO HEAVY so that you can soon start!)
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When I calculate my 15, 10, 5 rm max should I take into consideration that I'll in the 5 rep period will use 3 sets for the compound exercises? I.e calculate my (3x5) max? </div>

No, just get your 5 RM, if you short when you get to 3 x 5, use cluster reps to get there! I doubt you'll need it, your rest period should be between 90 - 120 seconds between sets so...sure that will do.
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I see some people like to have a constant volume throughout the program, while others tend to have a decreasing volume... What's the main advantages and disadvantages to them both?</div>

We're all a little different and respond differently too! IMO I prefer constant throughout but some...very few though...would drop.

here's Bryan's take:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">15. How many sets and how to determine it

I suggest you do 2 sets per exercise during the 15s. Then do 2 sets during the first week of 10s, and 1 set during the second week of 10s. Then do 2 sets during the first week of 5s, and finish doing one set (after warm ups of course) during the last week of 5s. Always warm up first regardless of how many work sets you are doing.

The volume isn't necessarily supposed to decrease each minicycle. It often does, simply as a result of the increasing poundage’s and cumulative damage.

If you are doing HST properly you won't be able to just increase your volume at will. If you are doing HST properly you should already be using as much volume as you can reasonably handle and still feel healthy (no injuries etc).

HST builds strength sure enough, however, the actual manifestation of that strength depends on the recovery of the CNS (and other neuromuscular factors) from workout to workout.

Sometimes a person will gain a little ground on their CNS recovery and their strength output will go up. Those who zigzag are more likely to experience significant &quot;strength&quot; gains mid cycle.

The size gains are dependant on what's happening to the tissue. This of course is dependant on the absolute load as well as the relative condition of the tissue at the time.

So, should you increase, maintain or decrease &quot;volume&quot; as the cycle progresses? It depends! I know how many people hate to hear that...but its true.

Here is how you decide. Keep in mind that these factors are to considered “collectively”, meaning each factor must be weighted, not taken as an absolute indicator.

Increase volume if:
You are never sore
You are never tired
You are not growing

Maintain volume if:
You are slightly sore most of the time
You are tired enough to sleep well, but not so tired you lose motivation to train.
You are noticeably “fuller”

Decrease volume if:
You are experiencing over use pain, and strain symptoms in joints and/or muscles.
You are tired and irritable all the time, yet don’t sleep well.
Strength levels are significantly decreasing.

I said, “The number of Sets is determined by the minimum effective volume (this changes over time according to current load and Conditioning.)

&quot; You said, “I thought … that the expression of the hypertrophic genes was increased in proportion to time under tension, i.e. 'more is better' up to a rational point.”</div>

Hope this helps!
cool.gif

Back