Volume when doing less overall

• Thread starter Thread starter Alek
  • Start date Start date
A

Alek

So, I went ahead and decided to just focus on only a few bodyparts. I know i know you don't think that's wise, you need to exercise everything etc... etc... But i'm not a competitive bodybuilder. I just want to increase ONLY certain bodyparts.

So, if you're only exercising say chest and arms. How would you change up the volume? Does the volume stay the same or what?

1) If on a standard HST-cycle you ussually for the entire body are doing 8 exercises total of 1 set each...

2) Do you just now do 8 exercises of arm/chest exercises?

For this kind of cycle.

For example, or how does that work?

Not something we usually recommend but all things considered you are the owner thus...its all yours!
biggrin.gif

My two cents? Increase the volume of the parts you want to emphasize, but do not just do those, exercise the others too, maybe just a little less that is all!

Your best bet is still to embark on a split type training program and just do more volume for those parts you want to emphasize! HST though can also be used in that format.

One other avenue is to stop progression of other aprts and increase those you want to emphasize, you pretty much going to have to put on the lab coat and
experiment.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;There are many ways to skin a cat&quot;</div>
wink.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 03 2009,10:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;There are many ways to skin a cat&quot;</div>
None of which tend to make the cat very happy...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">None of which tend to make the cat very happy... </div>

You bet!
sad.gif

Perhaps that is why I say he will have to become the lab coat and try these things out! We can only give opinions!
biggrin.gif

Why would I want to exercise bodyparts that I want smaller? Lol. Doesn't make sense.

Ok, now, if you are just exercising arms and nothing else, (which I am), how would you volumize the arms on HST.

I guess I'll just put on the lab-coat and see what does what, I'm not much into theory for untried things since I am trained in research methodology. I think there's a lot of tendency here to jump to theoretical conclusions based on theory.

Its ussually theory---> try it out as an experiment ---> definite statement

So I'm going with this:

HST (everything is normal HST, except I'm only training arms).
Every other bodypart is just stretched and exercised with light weights, and medium heavy once in two-weeks.
Volume on the arms ===&gt; I'll change it up with each cycle and see what happens.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I guess I'll just put on the lab-coat and see what does what, I'm not much into theory for untried things since I am trained in research methodology. I think there's a lot of tendency here to jump to theoretical conclusions based on theory. </div>

Yeah, you starting to get the hang of things, that's it, you know the basics, you wanna alter them? Create your own mix and see how it goes!
biggrin.gif

IMOO..............

Use what ever volume allows to train with the same or greater load and the same or greater volume your next workout. IOW what ever allows for no strength loss or performance loss.

Many may think they can do more but in reality there are local and systemic effects of training and even a single muscle group may not recover properly when doing too much too often.

Here is my 2 cents.

Research shows volume of 40 to 60 reps twice a week.

Anything over 60 reps could be benficial but more than likely it will be detrimental to your progress.

So if all you want to do is hit arms then.

I would say pick a rep target of say 50 reps twice a week = 100 reps per week.

Then I would just hit that target ...so if its 3 workouts per week then its 33 reps per session.

Two workouts per week its 50 reps per session.

I would get to those target reps by using something heavy 5x5 plus metabolic reps or just go with the standard HST routine.

I want to point out I would only recommend 40 to 50 reps for biceps and triceps ONLY....and again ONLY if that is what you are training and no other muscle groups are getting hit with overlap.

Back