Want bigger biceps? Train them first

bodyguard

Hello guys,

I found this interesting article. It sound sense to me.
Has anybody experience with this way of working out?

If your small muscle groups, like the shoulders, biceps and triceps, lag behind in their development, you may be able to remedy the situation by training them first and doing the big muscle groups afterwards. Brazilian sports scientists will publish an article on this soon in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport.

What exactly is the best way of going about power training? It's a question to which there will never be one answer. According to some approaches, the accent in a power training session should be placed on the large muscle groups, doing basic multi-joint exercises like bench presses, rows and squats. This heavy kind of training encourages the body to make anabolic hormones, which are what make your muscles grow. Sounds logical.

But the same applies to the other approach, which says that it just depends on which muscle group you want to develop. If you want bigger and stronger triceps, then train this group first. This way you’re still fresh and you can use heavier weights to train the muscle.

According to the Brazilian study, there’s more than an element of truth in the second approach. The researchers got two groups of eighteen-year-old students to train with weights. One group [G1] trained their large muscles first, and then the small groups: first the chest, then the back, then the shoulders and lastly the triceps and biceps. The second group [G2] did everything in the reverse order.

None of the students had previously done weight training. The figure below shows how the muscle power developed during the eight weeks. During the period of the study the test subjects trained three times a week, doing a workout that took in all of their upper body.

Article:
Bigger Bicepts

How "fresh" you are will not effect how heavy of a weight you are using for your workout. I mean, how many of us go into a workout not knowing what load we are going to use? Maybe when you are testing maxes or something, but that's about it.

Anyway, any study based on newbies to training won't apply very well to those of us with a lagging muscle group looking to bring it up.

When I do for example first my arms instead of my shoulders than I can lift more with my arms as before.
Only I cannt finish my set when I want to do my shoulders because its to heavy than.

I dont know if this only for newbies
wink.gif

Especially non-relevant to HST training, since this concept assumes you're training to failure. So invest the most in your first exercise.

I've been asked occassionally by friends who lift how to bring up "lagging biceps". In every case they WERE being hit either first or early in the work out and ALWAYS with 8 or more reps (usually 3-4 sets) x 2-3 movements. Another common thread in their routines was the use of machines for rowing movements.
      The few that actually took my advice to use free-weight rowing movements and to begin training a single movement - 3x3 barbell curl with around 85% 1RM tacked on to the END of an " abbreviated" back workout , not only experienced SUBSTANTIAL strength increases on the curl but size increases they weren't previously seeing and were able to then (after a few cycles) return to higher reps with the ability to curl enough poundage to actually do something , with the understanding that periodically returning to triples for a cycle  would only improve this further.

Heavy, progressive loads over time with an emphasis on building a strength base first BEFORE you get all "bodybuilder" like - are pretty much the answer to just about everything IMHO.

<div>
(Alek @ Apr. 10 2009,4:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Especially non-relevant to HST training, since this concept assumes you're training to failure. So invest the most in your first exercise.</div>
I never train to failure. I noticed only when I start with curls, for example, i can lift more.

<div>
(bodyguard @ Apr. 10 2009,2:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When I do for example first my arms instead of my shoulders than I can lift more with my arms as before.
Only I cannt finish my set when I want to do my shoulders because its to heavy than.

I dont know if this only for newbies
wink.gif
</div>
But my point was that you shouldn't be able to lift more in subsequent exercises since you should have set up what load you would be using when you set up your cycle. You should never choose the load you will use based on how you feel that particular day or anything like that. You will always have the most success when you plan things out in advance and then stick to the plan.

By the way, as Russ said, excessive arm work isn't necessarily a good thing. I don't have huge arms but I do have rather good biceps which makes my arms appear to be huge. Care to guess how I got to that point? Not by doing tons of curls and a myriad of other arm exercises. I do pull a lot of weight in rowing though.

I found that &quot;burn sets&quot; after my 10s 5s and negs helped my biceps.

so did pro hormones but they aren't around any more
sad.gif

<div>
(Bob Evans @ Apr. 22 2009,12:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I found that &quot;burn sets&quot; after my 10s 5s and negs helped my biceps.

so did pro hormones but they aren't around any more
sad.gif
</div>
What do you mean with &quot;so did pro hormones but they aren't around any more&quot;

(sorry, I am not a native English speaker;-)

&quot;pro hormones&quot; were a supplement that helped boost your testosterone. Think of them as &quot;baby steroids&quot; but they were made illegal a few years ago. So they are no longer available in the U.S. at least.

OK, I understand.

So you stick on &quot;burn sets&quot;?

I see you have been training on HST since 2002, like me. Only you have more rates;-)

You have still process with your training?

Back