Warming up / Stretching

Eternal

Hi,

Before doing weights, do I need to warm up or stretch?

If so, in what way? I really have no idea....

Do I need to warm up by skipping etc first? Do I need to put lighter weights on first?

Advice needed, thanks.

dont stretch but skipping is
cool.gif
about 5mins i only do a warm up set for squat,daedlift,bench, that should warm up all the muscles
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I have a short jog to my gym so that's my general warm-up. I never stretch before my w/o but I do do some stretching on off days. I always do a few warm-up sets before my work sets except for arm isos if I've already worked chest and back.

Eg. If I'm squatting I would do a few bodyweight squats first, then 10@135, then 5@225, then 3@275, then the work sets 3 x 5@315.

Dynamic stretches are okay preworkout, but static stretches are a bad idea. It IS a good idea to do static stretching post-workout though, but not right away.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Sep. 15 2006,08:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dynamic stretches are okay preworkout, but static stretches are a bad idea.  It IS a good idea to do static stretching post-workout though, but not right away.</div>
Ditto that.

I do a minute of jumping jacks, dynamic toe touches, various trunk twists and bends, arm circles, &quot;squat jumps,&quot; ... my warm up lasts about 5 minutes. When weight gets heavy, I add some push ups.

i actually only do one warm up set...i think if you do a general warm up that is enough.
for squats i do on 5s
1 set with 80k about 7reps
then straight into my max 150k 3 sets of 5
imo once its warmed up thats it doing multiple sets will only fatigue the muscle more ,and maybe lead to more injury.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm sure that now I am older I feel the need to do more in the way of warm-ups than when I was younger. According to Blade, there are quite a few benefits to warm-up sets and I definitely find this now. They help me to psychologically prepare for the heavy loads too.

i am 48 lol and i used to do multiple warm up sets,but i have found that doing less is better IMO
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Faz, It's certainly quicker!
biggrin.gif

My knee joints tend to find it harder during 5s if I don't do the extra warm-ups for squats. I am even doing a warm-up set during 15s now as my loads for 15s have increased each cycle.

Same is true for my bench. My right shoulder joint really needs the warm-up. The left one doesn't give me the same trouble. If I had two good shoulders I'm sure one warm-up set would suffice.

Stretching anytime is always good. You need it to remain flexible. You can be strong in many exercises but functionally weak if you don't have a flow of power. This flow of power = strength + flexibility.

For my warmup before weight traing, I do 5-10 slow pull ups, pushups and squats at bodyweight. This gives all my major muscles the warmup they seem to need. Sometimes a lot of warming up for each exercise can equal overtraining.

HITers claim to do only one set to failure. However, they do not seem to count the 5 or so &quot;warm up&quot; sets they do, that can approach failure, while leading up to that &quot;one&quot; set that counts. That always made me suspicous of your claims.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Sep. 15 2006,08:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> It IS a good idea to do static stretching post-workout though, but not right away.</div>
What is the reason for not doing them immediately after?

If you are prone to injury - here's another way to warm up.

50% X 10 reps of your working weight for the day to get blood flowing.
60% x 10 reps of your working weight to get the muscles warm.
75% x 3 reps of your working weight to get the muscles acclimated to heavier weight.
90% x 2 reps of your working weight to get the muscles ready for the actual working weight.

Do your workouts.

Don't do this for every exercise. Just do it for muscle groups. If you've already warmed up for rows - no need to do it for chins.

Anytime I vary from this - I end up getting hurt. Yes, it does reduce the amount of actual weight I can handle or reps I can do...but since we are doing submaximal weights with HST - it's no big deal. It did reduce my work capacity for Max Ot or PL though.

If you aren't injury prone - then there may be no need to do this kind of warmup work for HST.

<div>
(leegee38 @ Sep. 15 2006,17:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Sep. 15 2006,08:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> It IS a good idea to do static stretching post-workout though, but not right away.</div>
What is the reason for not doing them immediately after?</div>
Just because of fatigue. Some people might not be able to stretch as well after a grueling workout either, but really there isn't any big reason not to do them immediately. That would probably be the best time to do them because otherwise you might forget to do them if you waited an hour or something.
Everyone should include a stretching program of some sort though. I think it is very important, even if I don't necessarily follow my own advice about it (stretching is sooo boring!) heheh.

Back