Weekends Plus 1 Weekday? Advice...

NbleSavage

My goals: hypertrophy, stay lean (have a good diet - am on CKD - just looking to make sure I keep my glycogen stores depleted with the workout as well).

Question: my work schedule leaves me with Sat and Sun as being reliable for good, heavy workouts. *MOST* of the time, I can get in one more workout either in the evening after work or in the morning before work one day a week as well. What's the best type of program for me to be on for hypertrophy that will also allow for my two hardest / longest workouts to fall on back-to-back weekend days and be complimented by one more workout mid-week?

Thanks all.

Peace.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Feb. 05 2010,8:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would suggest a push/pull split over the weekend and a full body workout around Wednesday.</div>
Sounds good - You think something like a HST 'Basic' full body mid-week? Perhaps different exercises than my weekend split?

Thanks O&amp;G!

- Savage

I'd use some big compounds mid-week to try to cover as much ground as possible in the single session. So, I'd do some kind of deadlift, squat cleans (and jerks if you are allowed), bench/dips, chins/pull-ups plus a couple of sets of toes-to-bar (or another favourite core movement). Job done.

Yup, as LOL said, keep to the core exercises. My personal &quot;can't live without&quot; ones are:

Squats
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Pull ups.

No real need to switch mid week but you can if you want a little variety. Just keep them compound.

Perfect - thanks guys. Would you suggest using the standard HST format then for each session in terms of sets &amp; reps? (eg. 15s, 10s, 5s, 1 set, 2 sets, 3 sets)?

Great info - much appreciated.

- Savage

Thanks again, O&amp;G. I've been at it (gripping the steel) for quite some time. I'm pushing 40 yrs young javascript:emoticon('
smile.gif
')

Here's what I've come-up with thus far. I did the 'Push' workout yesterday &amp; loved it, although I'm a bit sore (low back &amp; legs in particular) and am curious to see how those deadlifts are going to feel later today. I'm also thinking I may have gone overboard with the number of exercises for my mid-week full-body HST-style workout.

Any suggestions are welcome. Here's the plan:

&quot;PUSH SATURDAY&quot; (6 sets x 3 reps @ 60 secs rest)
A1 Incline Bench Press
A2 Military Press
B1 Back Squat
B2 Weighted Dips
C1 Skullcrushers (triceps)
C2 Calf Press
D Dragon Flags (abs / core)

&quot;PULL SUNDAY&quot; (6 sets x 3 reps @ 60 secs rest)
A1 Trap Bar Deadlift
A2 Preacher Curls
B1 Weighted Pull-Ups
B2 Straight-Leg Deadlift
C Sicilian Crunches (abs / core)

&quot;HST Mid-Week&quot; (15s @ 1 set&gt;&gt; 10s @ 2 sets&gt;&gt; 5s @ 3 sets)

Flat Bench Press
Barbell Squats
Leverage Row
Leverage Military Press
Incline DB Flies
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
Glute-Ham Raises
Elevated DB Lunges
ISO Hammer Curls
DB Triceps Press
Calf Press
Dragon Flags
Hanging Knee-Raises
FINISHER: 2 Mile Bike for Time

Also..try to get in 80 to 100 total reps over those workouts per bodpart.

You can do more volume on your split days.

And use less volume on your full body days.

Just remember overlap.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Feb. 07 2010,9:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also..try to get in 80 to 100 total reps over those workouts per bodpart.

You can do more volume on your split days.

And use less volume on your full body days.

Just remember overlap.</div>
Thanks Brother. Good advice.

To add to my total reps advice I would say the following:

If you are going heavy you can get away with 80 total reps per week.

If you are going REALLY heavy you could get away with less than that.

If you are going light to moderate meaning 8-12 reps per set or even 15 reps you could squeeze out 100 total reps.

A nice medium range is a little of both

So lets look at this practically.

Let take your push day.
for Example maybe Chest looks like this
3 sets of 6-8 reps of say bench press
2 sets of say 10-12 reps of dips.

That gives you 38-48 reps and hits the muscle group with heavy enough weights that you get full MU recruitment from all muscle fibers.

With some moderate reps in there for metabolic work.

Remember though when you get over to shoulders you don't need as many total reps because of the overlap.

So cut your work sets back to 3 or maybe 4 sets

Same goes for triceps use maybe 1 to 2 sets tops.

Wam Bam and your out of the gym.

Then use you full body day to get the remainder of your reps in for the week...also allowing you to keep the frequency of each muscle group of twice a week which = GOOD.
biggrin.gif

If you are looking for a more general guideline than what I gave you above go with this.

Large muscle groups shoot to get 40-50 reps twice a week (Chest,Back,Legs)
Smaller muscle goups 25-30 reps twice a week (Shoulders-Da Gunz..etc).

I think using the above rep template with some type of progressive increase in load / work and you will be good to go!

Also I would drop the drangon flags or whatever they are called for abs and really only do one movement which would be swiss ball crunches.

With the swiss ball crunches I would go with WEIGHTED crunches if you can.

From what I understand its the best movement to NOT...bring in the hip flexors...which regardless of how hard you try we all seem to bring the hip flexors into the movement more than the core.

I think with with the swiss ball crunches the the spinal flexion give you a better chance of actually using the ab muscles vs hipe flexors.

Good advice from Joe. It is still a bit of volume but since you are barely out of puberty, you can handle it Savage.
cool.gif

Personally, I wouldn't do as many exercises on your full-body day. I'd focus on tonnage lifted and work done in the time you have available. So, for example, I'd miss out the leg extensions and leg curls and do a couple of extra sets of squats (maybe front squats for variety) or possibly a leg press (if your lower back is toasted). Another set of bench instead of flies might be good too. You'll save time and get more work done.

If you do a standing press instead of using a fancy schmancy machine you'll involve more core muscles and develop better motor skills. That might not be important or useful to you right now, but there will probably come a time when it is. Same goes for adding something like power cleans (and then cleans) to your list of exercises; they'll help you to develop explosive power. They take more skill to learn than pushing or pulling on any machine but the rewards are greater in the long run.

I'd skip crunchy anything for abs/core work and do some GHD or Roman chair sit-ups - with weight as required. It really doesn't matter if your hip-flexors are working hard too. Your abs primary function is in core/mid-line stabilisation which comes in very useful when you are heavy squatting and deadlifting.

Anyway just my 2¢.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Feb. 07 2010,3:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good advice from Joe. It is still a bit of volume but since you are barely out of puberty, you can handle it Savage.    
cool.gif
</div>
Old and Grey is right.

Start on the low end of volume and work you way up.

You could always shoot for 25 reps twice a week and then work your way up.

Back