Weeks 7 & 8

Ryan che

Just a question with regards to negatives as this is the first time i've tryed them and i want to get them spot on firsty time.. How many concentric/ eccentric reps should be performed per exercise? I've been doing 20 reps for my last weeks of 5s.

Also am i write in thinking that for exercises like dips and chins, you will push your self up using your legs and then slowly lower yourself in 3-4 seconds stretching the muscle and repeat, just seems a bit odd, especially for dips.
Thanks.

I've read in FAQ beginners can use 1 set for 15's, 2 for 10's, and 3 for 5's.

If you're asking about the first 6 weeks AND Negatives, I believe it's 2.

In response to your second point, I am sure that's the point; lower yourself with as much controll as possible. You might have to attach weights to your body.

Brian suggests using your 2 rep max for negatives when applicable. There is no set number of reps just until you can't maintain the controlled eccentric speed.

On 5's I've seen alot of people suggest
wk 5&6 3 sets x 5 reps
wk 7 4 sets x 5 reps w/5 RM
wk 8 5 sets x 5 reps w/5 RM

Ok i gues that i'll have to figure it out as i go. Also, should i still be using progressive load or does the weight stay the same for the remaining 2 weeks.
Cheers!

To get sufficient time under tension shoot for 15 to 20 reps total for each exercise. You can increase when you can complete the given number of reps. I did 4 sets x 4 reps and even 5 sets of 3 reps just so i could add 5 lbs each workout. So if you did 200 lbs for 3 sets of 5, the next time you could move up in weight and do 4x4 or 3x5 or just add in another set with the same weight. No wrong way to do it really. I wouldn't try to max out though until the end of the cycle. Hope this helps

Yeah thanks for the help! Just one last question though, how do i go about finding the weight to use for negatives, do you just guess or is there an online calculator or something?

My 5rm for incline bench was 50kg (just to use as an example).
Cheers guys.

Last edited:
I would just use a one rep max calculator (google 1 rep max calculator) and use the chart below to figure out the poundages. Brian suggests using your 2 RM for negatives in weeks 7 & 8 so your predicted 1RM for incline is 127 lbs rounded to nearest whole number, so 127 x .95= 120.6 lbs or 54.84 kgs. Hope this helps and good luck Ryan!

<table style="width: 55%; text-align: left; margin-right: auto; margin-left: auto;" border="4" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="2"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center; font-weight: bold;">Reps
</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center; font-weight: bold;">% of 1 Rep Max</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">1</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">100</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">2</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">95</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">3</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">90</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">4</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">88</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">5</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">86</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">6</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">83</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">7</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">80</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">8</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">78</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">9</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">76</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">10</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">75</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">11</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">72</td></tr><tr><td style="width: 247px; text-align: center;">12</td><td style="width: 246px; text-align: center;">70</td></tr></tbody></table>

Back