Weight calculations when using different exercises

MarkY

Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find the answer using the search.

On the home page of this site, there is an example workout for a 2 week block using 10 reps. The example shows a couple of different exercises, alternating between workouts.

My confusion is how the weight is incremented each workout. The HST calculator plots out your workout weight based on doing the same workout every time. If I do squats one workout and leg presses the next, the third workout will also be squats. What weight do I use for this. The "second calculated weight" or the "third calculated weight" essentially skipping the second weight? Or, do I use the second calculated weight because this is only the second workout where I do squats?

I hope I'm clear in what I mean. Thanks for any help.

From my understanding you have to expose the muscle to increased load each session (ignoring repeats and zigzagging etc.), so if you're working the legs with Squats at, say, 100kgs, then do leg press which is the same movement just with a machine, then you'd do 110kgs, then Squats 120kgs.

Of course you can also do heavier weights with machines than free weights to it puts everything out, and most people here will say drop the leg presses and only do squats, or alternate squats with deadlifts.

But what I said above about progressive weights can be applied to the recommended alternating exercises, like bench press with dips, or wide grip and narrow grip rows. That's if my explaination is correct. Otherwise treat them as different exercises and progressive everytime you do that exercise.

MarkY

I think I understand your problem, the HST calculator also uses a factor for incrementing (5%, 10% etc - doesn't it?) if that is the case for exercises that youare alternating, simply halve the increment and the third workout of that exercise should have the right increment.

If you struggle with this I use my own excel sheet which I can easily post for perusal.

Cheers

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 29 2006,04:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you struggle with this I use my own excel sheet which I can easily post for perusal.</div>
Thanks Fausto, I think I follow what you're saying. I wouldn't mind if you posted your spreadsheet though. You can PM it to me if you'd rather.

I agree with Peak, continuous progression is the goal, but say you're doing dips and benches...obviously you aren't going to use the same weight for both, but each has it's own max and it should have it's own progression, even though you're alternating between them. So you add ten lbs. or whatever to your bench weight then add ten or so to your dip weight, whatever it is.

I had the same confusion at first.
wow.gif

Back