weight increment = 18-20 times??

S_F_H

I read one of bryan's newsletter from thinkmuscle saying that all in all, you should be incrementing around 18-20 times from your starting weight (first 15s) to your ending weight (last 5s) over a period of 6-8 weeks...

Am I just the only one nowhere close to 20?? i'm probably much more close to 10 times or so.. and this by incrementing like 2.5lbs..

cuz even tho you bench press lets say 200 lbs on last 5s... boy you would need to start to 100 lbs on 15s... wouldnt those be really really that light that they would be uneffective..??

thanx!!

think about it. you increase the wieght every workout. there are aproxamitly(sp?) 18-20 workouts not counting the negatives where you wouldnt increase the weights really.
you should be increasing the wieghts every workout unless its an arm iso like curls and you can repeat the same weight twice.... did i make sense?
cool.gif

S_F_H

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">cuz even tho you bench press lets say 200 lbs on last 5s... boy you would need to start to 100 lbs on 15s... wouldnt those be really really that light that they would be uneffective..??
</div>

You missed the whole point? The 15's are just that...light....very light indeed...15 slow reps to get the burn...in order to flush the system with lactic acid and therefore get your joints acquainted with the weight and prepare them for the much biger loads ahead!

This is a common problem with newbies, where they either miss the mark or think &quot;to hell with this...that is waaaay to light for me&quot;, then they end up doing the wrong thing for a while totally missing the intended benefit of some part of the program.

I end up with 24 increments for those exercises that are done daily and 12 for those alternated, as i don't keep the same weights on negatives but increment those as well (not necessary though!)

Next time you do the cycle, include the 15's and look at using a target of about 70% of your 1 RM (that means if you lift 200 lbs for bench, you would start with 107 round about and progress like this: 108-114-120-126-133-140 or round these off.

Hope this helps, and hey...don't take me serious about the newbie stuff...it is just that guys end up missing out on a good preparation part of the routine.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ May 29 2006,08:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You missed the whole point? The 15's are just that...light....very light indeed...15 slow reps .........</div>
I for one, feel that the 15's are part of the deconditioning that started with the SD. After SD, you are further deconditioning the muscles AWAY from the heavy weight you did, before SD. Your, in a sense, telling the body forget the heavy stuff, get used to the &quot;really light stuff now&quot;. To not do the 15's might cheat one out of better results at the end of the cycle.

So, you now have 2 weeks SD, 2 weeks 15's...that 4 weeks of telling the body, things are going to be &quot;real easy from now on&quot;. But then come the real progression with heavy weight in the 10's &amp; 5's &amp; post 5's.

The is just another Omega .02 cent moment
biggrin.gif

<div>
(KillerRabbit @ May 29 2006,01:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">think about it. you increase the wieght every workout. there are aproxamitly(sp?) 18-20 workouts not counting the negatives where you wouldnt increase the weights really.
you should be increasing the wieghts every workout unless its an arm iso like curls and you can repeat the same weight twice.... did i make sense?
cool.gif
</div>
sure 18-20 wo.... but by doing so, that would mean I would be zizagging with my weights no??? cuz I aint yet any killer in lifting weights so I dont have that much &quot;space&quot; between, for instance, my 15s and my 10s... could look like 15lbs between max 15 and max 10 so incrementing 6 times in that much space would require to zigzag, doesnt it???

p.s I had got the point for the 15s of being that light.. but in my case it wouuld reaach close to 0 *shame*

just my BP isnt strong really... my max 10s is like 70lbs (35lbs on each side) and max max 5s is 90lbs... so I can only increment by 2.5lbs on each side (5lbs total..) so I would be using 40lbs to the 10s to start... on the other hand my max 15s is like 50lbs so at some point I would be over the previously mentionned 40lbs and and when I would go on the 10s, I would have 3 workouts where I would workout under the previous heavier weight...
and btw, to start my 15s, since my max is 50, that owuld mean I would start with like 20lbs total (10 on each side, weeeeeeeee
biggrin.gif
)

50 lbs?

Ok, let's do this: 30-35-40-45-50-50, and please sloooow down the reps, that way it will feel heavier, something like 6-0-4, that will be down-rest-up motion, make sense?

And don't worry about the weight, you have to start somewhere!
biggrin.gif

One other option would be to take up dumbbels instead, same weight!

I'm pretty new too, having just completed my first cycle, and not really ever lifting weights before that. My max's are relatively low. So in many exercises, I end up increasing weight every other workout, instead of every work out. This means that on some exercises, only 12 or so increases in weight instead of 18, 20 or 24. That's OK. When strength improves, so will the dynamics of the weight progression. I'm already seeing that in preparation for my next cycle.

I also found, and this may be true for some other newbies, that after hitting my max in the 5's, like in the squat and dead lift, I was able to keep progressing in the 7th and 8th weeks. I think that new muscle, stronger core, and better form contributed to that. My squat 5RM was something like 159 pounds, but by the end of week 8, it was up top 175.

Back