Weights from home

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_durriesd
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_durriesd

Hey guys,

I am trying to put together a program that I can do in my home gym.

I only have a bench (with incline ability), lot of free weights and a barbell. As a result, I can't really do squats or dips.

Can anyone suggest some alternative exercises I can incorporate?

I plan to add to my home gym, but as a student it is a bit difficult at the moment.

Any assistance or advice would be great guys.

Cheers

Durries

Compounds
Deads
Shrugs (or do deads with a shrug at the top)
Bench Press/Incline Bench Press
Bent Row
Standing Press (push-press during post-5s)

Optional isos
bb curls
skulls
one-legged calf raise holding some weight
Some kind of ab crunch

A combo of Romanian deads (or SLDLs) and front squats would be good too once you can clean a decent amount of weight. You could alternate them with the deads.

For a bit of variety you could do power cleans instead of shrugs.

If you want to do incline bench just use a shallow incline ~15deg.

Students are often inventive, so see if you can figure out a way to do chins and dips somehow (two strong chairs back-to-back can work for dips).

If you can figure out how to do chins and dips get some rope or similar so you can attach some weight to yourself for added resistance.

Hope that helps.

Hey I am in the exact situation as you! I'm a student at uni but i'm living at home and i'm starting my first ever HST cycle next week.

I have 220lbs worth of weights for my home gym with a barbell and dumbells.

These are the compound exercises that are proven the best for mass building:
Squats
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Military Press
Dips
Barbell Row/Pull Up

So for us Dips, and Squats are not really possible to do at home.  But the others will be more than enough to construct a solid effective HST cycle.

<div>
(Myth @ Oct. 16 2006,04:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey I am in the exact situation as you! I'm a student at uni but i'm living at home and i'm starting my first ever HST cycle next week.

I have I have 220lbs worth of weights for my home gym with a barbell and dumbells.

These are the compound exercises that are proven the best for mass building:
Squats
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Military Press
Dips
Barbell Row/Pull Up

So for us Dips, and Squats are not really possible to do at home.  But the others will be more than enough to construct a solid HST cycle.</div>
Anyone can do dips at home. Just use two dining room chairs, bend at the knee, put plates in a back-pack if you need to.

I can now do squats thanks to a $20 trip to Home Depot. Two 2x6s running floor to ceiling, some large bolts, a pair of old saw horses for safety = cheap but working squat rack!!

The Sissy Squat: you'll think you're a sissy when you try these!

Either hold on to a solid immobile object at a height just above your waist, at your side, or get a rope or belt and loop it around something like a tree, porch post or doorknob. A large guy could conveivably rip a door off it's hinges when adding weight, though.

Lean back holding the torso straight, bending only the knees as far as you can go comfortably and push back up with your quads. That's one rep. Add plates to your chest to increase weight for progression. (You can use another belt around the neck or hold it in your hand) That's when and if you can get to 15 with bodyweight! These are tough!

Foot stance is same rules as for squats, feet together for outer quads and apart for medials. DON'T bend at the waist or you'll just cheat yourself.

Also:

French press
Close grip bench press
Power cleans
Clean and Jerk (or push press)
Front squat
Hack squat
Pullovers
Etc., etc.

Back