What’s going on with my back?

Dvst8or

My pull-ups seem to have not only stalled in weight progression but have even taken a step backward. While none of my other muscle groups have done the same.

(All pull-ups are done with wide grip BTW)

At the beginning of last year
Max weighted pullup = 10 lbs
Next cycle = 25 lbs (2 sets of 5)
Next cycle = 35 lbs (2 sets of 5)
Next cycle = 35 lbs (1 set of 5, 2nd set only got 3)
Next cycle = 35 lbs (1 set of 4, 2nd set only got 3)
And now on this cycle I have only started my 5’s (with a goal of 45 lbs being the max) and 30 lbs = 2 sets of 3 (trying to avoid failure)(did a 3rd set of 3 with neutral grip, just to try and keep overall volume the same)

The only thing that has changed in my diet is an increase in calories commensurate with my increase in weight.

I’m not sure what’s going on here. My training hasn’t really changed save for using some different exercises to keep things fresh but still that basic core program.
Basic program:
A
Deads
Pull-ups
Dips

B
Squats
Bentover row
Bench

(with iso’s (arm and calf work) on both days if/when I feel like it/have the energy which is pretty much every workout)

Anyone have any ideas?

Are you taking into account your increased BW. In my case I’ve added 26 lbs in 6 months which means I’m now doing my original BW + 56 lbs even though I’m only putting 30 lbs on my back.

Are you taking into account your increased BW. In my case I’ve added 26 lbs in 6 months which means I’m now doing my original BW + 56 lbs even though I’m only putting 30 lbs on my back.

This.

Also, wide grip isn't as good for lats as narrow underhanded grip. That will take you through more of the lats range of motion. You can prove this to yourself easily. Take your left hand and put it on your right lat, then use your arm arm and go through the motion of a pullup with a wide grip, then a chinup with a narrow grip.

HA!! Didn't even think about that at all. Talk about a no duh! Yea I have gone from ~160lbs at the beginning to my current 180lbs so I guess that 20 pounds is probably making a difference :rolleyes:

Also, wide grip isn't as good for lats as narrow underhanded grip. That will take you through more of the lats range of motion. You can prove this to yourself easily. Take your left hand and put it on your right lat, then use your arm arm and go through the motion of a pullup with a wide grip, then a chinup with a narrow grip.

Could you elaborate on how it "isn't as good?" I did your test and I can feel what you mean. I was under the impression that wide grip was good for width and best for back development since your biceps can't help out as much like they can with neutral/underhand grip. I also thought that underhand/neutral grip was good for lat thickness vs width, am I way off base here?

"Back width" just means bigger lats and a smaller waist. You can't make lats grow thicker versus wider or wider versus thicker. Lats just get bigger or they don't get bigger. Bigger lats will make your back look wider. Back thickness is more a function of traps and maybe the erectors to an extent as well. That's why they say for back thickness do rows and for width do chins/pullups.
So if you want a wider back, you should work the lats through the full range of motion. Further, just because wide grip is harder to do (because you are putting your lats in a disadvantaged position) does not mean it is better. You can use greater loads with a underhanded narrow grip. For best bet, you would want to alternate them, but I just do it with an underhand grip and don't bother with a wide grip pullup at all. I found this page as the first hit on google when I did a search, maybe it will explain the anatomy a little better? http://www.fitstep.com/Advanced/Anatomy/Back.htm

"Back width" just means bigger lats and a smaller waist. You can't make lats grow thicker versus wider or wider versus thicker. Lats just get bigger or they don't get bigger. Bigger lats will make your back look wider. Back thickness is more a function of traps and maybe the erectors to an extent as well. That's why they say for back thickness do rows and for width do chins/pullups.
So if you want a wider back, you should work the lats through the full range of motion. Further, just because wide grip is harder to do (because you are putting your lats in a disadvantaged position) does not mean it is better. You can use greater loads with a underhanded narrow grip. For best bet, you would want to alternate them, but I just do it with an underhand grip and don't bother with a wide grip pullup at all. I found this page as the first hit on google when I did a search, maybe it will explain the anatomy a little better? http://www.fitstep.com/Advanced/Anatomy/Back.htm

Fair enough. Thanks for the link and the info.

When you say narrow grip underhand you are talking palms facing you and your hands side by side? And what about neutral grip wouldn’t it be more or less the same?

I guess it doesn’t really matter that much as long as I have the basic function down.

Neutral grip is pretty good too. But yes, that's what I mean, except I keep my hands probably just about shoulder width or just inside shoulder width, not touching or anything. Another thing worth a shot is trying bentover rows with an underhanded grip, it activates the lats a little more than standard rowing. I did that for a few cycles and liked them but eventually went back to regular grip.

Back