what do you put in place of 15s.

trentsteel

Just wondering what should be put in place of 15s, the article on the website states that after your first hst cycle you can skip the 15s the second time around, so what would you do, 2 x 10s for 4 weeks? repeat the weight every 2 weeks or incrementally increase for 4 weeks?

I am currently in my 8th cycle, and I have done 15's every time. You do not have to skip that mesocycle. The 15's and the light load involved can be very aerobic and helpful for a cut. If your joints are feeling good and/or you have had a short SD, then you may opt out of 15's and start with 10's.

Remember that HST is a set of principals. There are no constraints to number of sets, days/weeks in a mesocycle, and the reps do not have to 15-10-5.

so i could do 12, 10, 5 next time? also how is this routine as far as getting cut, cause i am so used to 5 days split routines that focus on individual days per body part.
thanks

I am finding a lot more flexibility in HST than first impressions indicate. You can start at the 10s. If you do, I would just go 2 weeks. Starting at 12s is good too. I imagine you could do one week of 15s, then go to 12s or 10s if you wanted too.

Examples:
All will work, but one or another will work best for you. Some of us grew best in different rep ranges, high or low. And that can change with age or experience.

15's are great for preparing your body for the stress and loads that are to come. I do them every cycle.

Keystone

Been doing HST for around 5 yrs now. I've tried to skip 15'a a couple of times and it didn't work out too well for me. I didn't notice the effect at first but I like to extend my 5's for 6 weeks or more before I finally SD. By skipping the 15's my cycles had to end sooner because of joint soreness. But my age (soon to be 54) is probably a factor as well.

Firm

<div>
(dr_janitor @ Mar. 02 2007,10:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">when you guys do 15's...do most of you do 1 set or 2?</div>
Started out doing 2 sets but I found that it burned me out before I got to my 10's. Then I tried 1 set and found it usually wasn't enough. Now I do a set of 15 followed by a set of 10 with the same weight. Seems to satisfy me both mentally and physically.

I only do this with 15's, when I get to 10's I do 2 sets and 3 sets for 5's.

Firm

If I am bulking I always do the 15s. They are a great way to get back into lifting after SD and the second week gets pretty darn hard. I tend to do what Firm does and do 1 set of 15 followed by a set of 5 or 10 with the same load.

My goal is to keep fatigue as low as possible while still getting a decent enough amount of volume in. As I have dropped down to 4 exercises per session now I will be aiming to do three sets per exercise during 15s next cycle (1st set:15 reps, 2nd:10 reps, 3rd:5 reps). First set is for the burn and second and third sets to add a bit of extra work. During the first week of 15s I might just do 2 sets of 15 if they seem light.

i did 15x2 for the first two weeks, just finished this week, i entered my RMs in the calculator and basically it gave me the weight to do... I used an increment of 5, except for the first day which was tough because i wasn't working out for like 3 weeks, weeks 2 through 6 seemed alright, i did 2 sets every time and chest exercises seemed the easiest. I follow the original routine from the HST website and do an A and B type setup basically the difference is the A has incline chest and Deadlift , while B has Flat Bench and Squat, while all the other exercises are the same, basically follow the original HST routine on the HST website (i think on the second page of the routine) minus calves, shoulder press, and laterals. I get tired out after workout but never too tired to finish, and if i am too tired i might skip one set on the secondary exercises, but that hardly ever happens i feel too guilty.

Just want to make sure i can get cut with this routine, kind of strange for me to workout 3 times a week, but i geuss the routine does as many reps as a regular push/pull in a week overall so i geuss i shoud be alright...i always focus on the Compounds first, although after finishing a set i feel like i want to do more after a few minutes of rest, but i limit myself and just follow the general ideas of the routine....

its new to me hopefully it works...

might skip 15s next time feel like there more cardio involved and not muscle building, thats at least how they feel after i finish them, but i didn't want to change things up for my first run as that wouldn't be fair, and so i read and listened to the advice of the OG's lol on this forum.

as always,
thanks guys

Back