What does GLA do?

virtualcyber

I know that gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is omega-6 acid and that it is supposed to be good for you.

But I have never really been able to pin down why or how it is good for you. What does it do, exactly?

I would appreciate any enlightenment!

GLA increases the production of DGLA (hero) and AA (baddie), building products for eicasanoids, which in turn are building blocks for hormones. The DGLA:AA ratio is considered more important than absolute levels of either.

The controversy with GLA is how it affects that DGLA:AA ratio for production. Barry Sears of the Zone doesn't recommend GLA supplementation, because he believes it [I}eventually[/I] worsens the DGLA:AA ratio. However the studies I've read show that it improves the DGLA:AA ratio, even through a year.

EPA improves the DGLA:AA ratio, but it decreases overall DGLA and AA production. While absolute levels aren't important, you also get AA from the (animal) fat you eat and the stored fat you burn from your body.

The idea is to supplement GLA with EPA. How do you know how much GLA you need? Your skin.

Your skin has no receptors for AA, so AA levels do not directly affect your skin quality. However, low DGLA levels will dry out the skin, create spots, create wrinkles, etc. It is one marker of your DGLA health.

Right now, I'm working with 600mg GLA with 1800mg EPA. My concentration levels and mood swings are ridiculously terrific (need less sleep, level hunger), however I'm still dealing with occasional bouts of dry skin. I'm wary about increasing GLA any more, but I might give it a try.

cheers,
Jules

Thanks jules. I am probably going to give GLA a try.

lol, as I was reading your post, I was thinking "wait a minute ... let me take a look at my skin"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Oct. 23 2002,5:15)]The controversy with GLA is how it affects that DGLA:AA ratio for production. Barry Sears of the Zone doesn't recommend GLA supplementation, because he believes it [I}eventually[/I] worsens the DGLA:AA ratio. However the studies I've read show that it improves the DGLA:AA ratio, even through a year.
Careful what you say about ol Barry, you know Im a Zoner!

Actually, Everything you said Sears has said too
tounge.gif

In fact, he recommended I supplement GLA because of the high amount of EPA/DHA I consume.

Barry's updated his recommendation? What ratio did he recommend you? I'm currently taking 600mg GLA with 1800mgEPA.

cheers,
Jules

Barry's always updating...he got so much wrong the first time ;)

He did'nt give me a ratio. I dont think he uses them because so many factors (diet,age,genetics,insulin levels, etc) make it highly individual. I just told him that I was having trouble getting the results from his Eicosanoid Report and how much fish oil I consumed and he said that the high levels of EPA/DHA could block conversion of n-6s to GLA and to add in 2-10mg/day to start.

I found that the bowl of oatmeal was all I needed to start feelin' happy :D

Back