What is considered better

Garratt

Wide Grip Row Machine or Wide Grip Bent over Row.. What is considered more compound, thus activating more muscle fibers?

Well if I had to choose it would be the free weight version. There are more muscles involved simply because you have to try and stabilise your torso whilst in the bent-over position.

Freeweights have SO many advantages over machines. But hypertrophy-wise, it's often said that there is only a slight difference. I disagree in the case of squats, deads, and bench (may be others). There is just something besides the synergistic musclulature working that grabbing a weight and moving it with the body does that machines will never do, including real-world function.
Putting a box up on a shelf is better assisted by overhead presses, not smiths, you see? You need a LOT more going on besides tri's and delts.

<div>
(Garratt @ Apr. 23 2008,11:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wide Grip Row Machine or Wide Grip Bent over Row.. What is considered more compound, thus activating more muscle fibers?</div>
Considering that your lower back, glutes, hams. quads, abs and calves will all be involved in stabilization with bent rows and may not be if using a seated WGR machine I would have to say the Bent Rows. As Quad points out, this doesn't neccessarily mean you won't get the same amount of hypertrophy in your targeted back muscles with a machine.

Back