What to do in the last 2 weeks

KungFuJoe

My original plan was to just continue doing my 5RM for the last 2 weeks. I can't do negatives because I don't have a spotter.

Also, someone mentioned using this time to figure out your new 5RM and use that to calculate your next cycle. Is this going to be as efficient as recalculating your maxes over again. Is there a "formula" on how to find out your 15RM and 10RM from a 5RM?

So, if i decide to use my last 2 weeks to find my new 5RM, do I just continue to increase the weight from my 5RM and keep increasing each workout until I hit my new max? Does this go against the rule of not going to failure or is it ok to go to failure in the last 2 weeks?

And say, on the 2nd workout of the last 2 weeks, I find my new 5RM, what do I do for the remainder of the 2 weeks? Do I keep attempting to do this new 5RM, or do I drop it back a little and continue to just do 5 reps?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure i do this the best way.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So, if i decide to use my last 2 weeks to find my new 5RM, do I just continue to increase the weight from my 5RM and keep increasing each workout until I hit my new max? </div>

Yes, that will work just fine. You don't have to go to complete failure to find your new max. I consider my failure point to be when my tempo is slowed down and I have to take a slight pause to regroup before doing another rep. From there I usually have one more full rep and then I would fail on the next rep. Something like that anyway.

[/QUOTE]Do I keep attempting to do this new 5RM
Yes, that is fine too. It will work well.
smile.gif

Keystone

<div>
(KungFuJoe @ May 04 2006,19:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And say, on the 2nd workout of the last 2 weeks, I find my new 5RM, what do I do for the remainder of the 2 weeks?  Do I keep attempting to do this new 5RM, or do I drop it back a little and continue to just do 5 reps?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure i do this the best way.</div>
Yeah, that's what I do. And if my joints are holding out I might do a further 2 weeks of 5s with this new 5RM weight. I probably can't do 5 reps for 3 sets with the new weight so I just cluster then and do a high rep set to finish off.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So, if i decide to use my last 2 weeks to find my new 5RM, do I just continue to increase the weight from my 5RM and keep increasing each workout until I hit my new max?  Does this go against the rule of not going to failure or is it ok to go to failure in the last 2 weeks?</div>
Do as Keystone says re failure. Right near the end of your cycle I can't see why it's such a bad thing to be nearer to failure as you will be taking an SD of at least a week during which time your CNS can get back into shape for your next cycle. I like to really go for it on the last workout or two and see if I can get a few PBs. Always a bit risky but I do try to be careful.
smile.gif

Depending on your routine, there are ways to work out negatives with some exercises. Chins and dips, for instance. Curls and tricep extensions are also very easy to do negative style.

Back