What to do when set cannot be completed?

marcus314

Hello. I'm finishing up my 1st week of HST tomorrow, but I've noticed that on some exercises (i.e., bench press), I'm unable to do the full 15 reps (or, at least I'm scared to try w/o a spot). So, how should this be done? How many seconds should I rest before attempting to finish the 15?

Also, I've been doing the flat bench press. Is the incline better for hypertrophy? We have an incline bench at my gym, but it's a fairly drastic incline (probably greater than 45*). Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Are you talking about the 1st or 2nd set? Because you should always be lifting less than your 15RM, which is the max weight you can lift 15 reps of with proper form. If you worked out your 15RM properly and are still having troubles in your first set, then you're not eating enough and not getting enough sleep/rest, therefore losing strength. If you didn't work out your 15RM properly then there's your problem.

If you're talking about the 2nd set then don't worry about it, just do what you can while avoiding failure.

Incline over 45 degrees brings the shoulder in too much, just stick to flat wide grip, or put a step under the bench to give about 10-20 degrees incline.

I'm also not really sure what to do if I'm not able to finish a set. Though I mean any set really. Usually though it happens towards the end sets of a rep range (obviously).

Does HST define failure as the point at which you can no longer do the exercise with correct form? I thought I read that somewhere. So if I'm having a hard time at the end of a set "cheating" (swinging, leaning, etc) is unacceptable, right? Otherwise explain to me what failure is in terms of HST.

I remember reading that going to failure is bad because it causes a negative response in the CNS. That's correct, right? Just want to make sure I'm not misremembering (there's a LOT of info on this site).

So if I get to say, rep 8 of my last set of 10 reps, but I know I can't do any more without hitting that "failure" point, should I set the weight down and come back 30 seconds later and finish my last two reps? Should I drop the weight and immediately finish my set? Maybe do some extra reps at the lower weight?

Or should I just accept that I only got 8 reps and move on in my workout? What if I hit this point in the first of two sets of the same exercise in one workout? If I can't finish the first set obviously I won't be able to finish the second--do I drop weight, take breaks mid-set at stick points?

I've wondered about this for a while. Thanks in advance!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm also not really sure what to do if I'm not able to finish a set.</div>

when this happens then cluster the reps !
but never go back with the load ! when it happens it happens !

The way I understand it, you're only supposed to train to failure (maximum load for that rep range/maximum voluntary strength) once every 2 weeks (the last workout for each rep range). So, if you're already there at the end of the first week, you're effectively short-circuiting the system.

You're not alone as I find myself doing the same thing. I'm used to HIT even though it doesn't work as well. I have to watch myself as my tendency is to train to failure all the time.

Back