What Weight Increments for Dumbells?

• Thread starter Thread starter Key Of David
  • Start date Start date
K

Key Of David

A question for you HST experts out there.

This is probably one of the all time dumb questions asked here but since we should increase the weight in at least 5 lbs increments or our muscles won't recognize the increase, then what do we do for dumbells?

I take it the 5 lbs increase is for barbell/compound movements, and that means 2 1/2 lbs for each side in these exercises, right?

Therefore, shouldn't a dumbell exercise, such as side laterals for shoulders, be increased in 2 1/2 lbs for each dumbell instead of 5?

The reason I ask is I'm getting back into HST once again and want to do things better than I did before.

One of the things I'm about to do is buy dumbells in weight increments instead of changing plates on them.

Thanks for any advice!

i guess its which ever combination brings you to your rep max after week 2 of 15's say.

but small increments are fine.

I was wondering the same thing myself. If you know your 15, 10, 5, or whatever else you are working with RM for the dumbells it should work fine to drop the weight in increments of 2.5 or 5 per dumbell as you plan your 6 workout block. You are starting out X pounds lighter than your RM and working up to it. I don't think the exact amount of the increment is as important as following the HST principals.

I may be way off on this because I haven't done dumbell work since starting...next cycle or the one after I'm going to use dumbells for my curls instead of the bar and see how it works out. I'm not sure which one though - I'm planning to do my longest, heaviest cycles with the oly bar, the shorter ones with the preacher bar and the dumbells.

When I find out how it works - I'll try to remember to come back and post the results. My results have made me very happy so far just using the oly bar, for wide grip curls.

If I'm mistaken here and somebody acutally knows the real answer or the "best" way, please share it and keep us new guys from making a training mistake.

David

If you are going to invest in DB's, consider investing in Power Blocks. They are less expensive on a per pound basis, can be adjusted in 2-1/4 pound increments and they feel ergonomically superior to me. Another option is magnetic Plate Mates which allows any DB to be adjusted as little as 5/8 of a pound.

there are magnets Ive seen advertised on the web that add one pound to 2.5 pounds to a db. This would be a MUCH cheaper way for you to get the increments youre looking for. I did a search of the forum and found this site so you can get an idea of what im talking about

http://www.fractionalplates.com/

Never did business with this company, but you get the idea...

Im thinking if you raise barbell weights by 5lbs, that would be 2.5 per side, so with dumbells, I increase the weight 1.25 per dumbell, per workout,  it makes the db lopesided every other workout but I can live with that.  
smile.gif

If your looking into getting plates, try www.wwfitness.com  somehow, they shipped 8, 12.5 lbs plates to me (100lbs total), and a pair of lifting straps, the total SHIPPED, was $68 (CA to KY).  It was a dollar cheaper per plate, than if I went and bought them local.  I was suprised, very suprised.  The dude that I dealt with, and happens to be the owner I think (Bill Ennis), sent a couple emails keeping me up to date and the items were shipped to me within the week. I was pleased, your results may vary.
biggrin.gif

Oh well...
biggrin.gif
  Good luck...haha

Key of David

My best bet is to use percentages, you cannot go wrong....except of course to get the weights to accomodate the numbers that pop up, but to me it is a matter of rounding up!

Thank you guys for the great advice and links!

As far as dumbells, there is a great sports store near me that sells new and used equipment and their deals on the used equipment is excellent, with the greatest selection I've ever seen. I do have to say though that $68 shipped for 100 lbs of weights is unreal.....what a find!

When I did my first two cycles on this program I also rounded the lbs off since my lightest plates were 3 lbs. That either meant to add 2 3 lb plates to one dumbell or one 3 lb which left it lopsided (but didn't bother me really).

I recently got some 1 lb plates and dumbell handles and planned on doing side laterals and bend over laterals for the side and rear delts, which is why I came up with the question at this time.

Also, my shoulders are my weak area and can't handle sudden changes in weight, so I can't push them, so adding 5 lbs to each dumbell at a time, for me....is really pushing it.

Which brings me to another question, but I will start that in another thread.

Thanks again for the advice and to Bryan for such an awesome program and forum!
cool.gif

Back