What would be the effectiveness of doing 15/10/5 in the same week?

Moshiach

I've read that the body gets a better hypertrophic response from mixing reps in a single week rather than over a longer cycle.

e.g.

Week 1
M: Bench 1x15x50kg
W: Bench 2x10x55kg
F: Bench 3x5x60kg

Week 2
M: Bench 1x15x52.5kg
W: Bench 2x10x57.5kg
F: Bench 3x5x62.5kg

etc.

Has anyone ever experimented with this, or heard of it before and know the scientific reasoning behind it?

Edit: My initial thoughts on this are that it would have to work on a shorter cycle, over eight weeks the load progression would be too slow, maybe it would work better over a four week cycle like 5/3/1, having said that, I wonder if anyone has ever done 5/3/1 modified to 15/10/5 reps.

Last edited:
I've recently been trying this as a way to extend the length of time I can stay in my 5s. So what I mean is that I'll start off with the intention of doing the 6 standard days of 5s, maybe stretch it to 7 or 8 if I feel not much bad stress, then I'll do a medium light day of 15s (a repeat of my second day of the six usually) then I'll do a medium light day of 10s (also a repeat of day 2 of the 10s) then I'll try to extend out the top of my 5s again now that I've had some time to heal up, while hopefully having kept atrophy at bay with those two days of lighter work. This is working for me to get more out of the top end of my 5s, increasing my strength. I don't know what effect its having on my hypertrophy. I feel like its effective at keeping me far enough away from overdoing it and injuring myself on those heavy 5s. I've only been trying it for this cycle, so I don't have much else to say about it other than those comments on continuing my strength out the top while avoiding injury.

I've read that the body gets a better hypertrophic response from mixing reps in a single week rather than over a longer cycle.

e.g.

Week 1
M: Bench 1x15x50kg
W: Bench 2x10x55kg
F: Bench 3x5x60kg

Week 2
M: Bench 1x15x52.5kg
W: Bench 2x10x57.5kg
F: Bench 3x5x62.5kg

etc.

Has anyone ever experimented with this, or heard of it before and know the scientific reasoning behind it?

Edit: My initial thoughts on this are that it would have to work on a shorter cycle, over eight weeks the load progression would be too slow, maybe it would work better over a four week cycle like 5/3/1, having said that, I wonder if anyone has ever done 5/3/1 modified to 15/10/5 reps.

It would be really hard in the final 2 weeks. You would be working with loads at or near max every single workout. Like in the final week, you would hit your max loads 3 sessions in a row. That's pretty intense. Anyone beyond the novice stage would have a hard time recovering from a max-out full body session with only 1 day of rest. Then doing the same thing again.

As long as you are progressing, it would be fine. You would still be following all the HST principles. I recall a study posted by Aaron a while back that showed this method of training could be quite promising. I would keep the cycle length at 6 to 8 weeks however.

Yes, It is effective but honestly tell you this is not a good way to loose your weight!!!
Just try to loose your weight very slowly without loosing your iron and many other factors that may cause of your internally weakness..! So, Don't do this very fastly.

Back