When does increased-frequency become overtraining?

OneMoreRep

Any thoughts?

is it an individual thing?

I was going to increase Freq. and Volume until i noticed things like excessive soreness, drops in strength, lack of modivation, problems sleeping, sore joints etc...

sound ok?

Currently i am training 6 days a week with 48 sets a week.

right now i am having no problems i am not sore at all.. i probably worded it wrong..

i was saying i was going to increase until the volume until i see those kind of problems.. i don't have any of them yet.

I was doing 7 sets twice per day, 5 days per week and found it to be too much. ( I was working each body part twice per day). More from a mental standpoint than a physical one. I started wanting to skip workouts. I have cut back now to 4 sets twice per day 5 times per week and no problems. (Still working each bodypart twice per day). I am thinking now of increasing it to 6 times per week.

O&G, how do you like the super-frequent training? How do you notice your body responding to it?

cheers,
Jules

my arms/legs feel fuller all the time. and the pumps after the workout are amazing.

i was just ceoncerned with how to now when you are past ideal growth..

would it just be the regular over training symptoms?

Jules, it's tough bro. A lot tougher than I thought. I like the cut down version. It's not a system to be bulking on though; no matter on how much you fill your pie hole with food, it jus ain't enough.

One, I usually back off when I feel a little mental stalenss coming on. That is usually the precursor to me working out too much. If I back off then, I will be OK.

The first thing to change from a standard HST is going from 3x to 5/6x a week in my opinion.

The next thing I tried was to increase the volume on the compound exercises, and this worked. I don't think on a 6x per week basis that the bis, tris or individual delts need 2 sets of isolation plus there involvment in compounds to grow.

And my current variable is using drop sets in the 5s, works a charm so far - makes the 5s feel like 15s just about
tounge.gif

You could eventualy decrease your density insteed of volume and frequency.

What I'm doing now is 20 singles per lift EVERYDAY at 80-85%. Density is low I take 1min to several minutes between reps. I want the least amount of fatigue possible.

I scale my frequency to how much rest and nutrition i'm getting.  I can kinda tell when i'm pushing it too far, there's a number of symptoms I get:  I can't sleep, dogging it during workouts, high body tempurature and sweating long after the workout is finished, and insomnia.
I tune my frequency depending on how bad or how many of these symptoms I have.  I lift 5 times a week, 3 upper body workouts, and 2 lower body workouts.  I might drop a high-toll exercise for a lower toll one (such as leg presses instead of squats) or just throw out a workout and take an additional day off for recuperation.  
I've found I can tolerate a whole lot of frequency as long as I eat and sleep well.  It's a subjective method, but is working well for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Mar. 18 2005,7:49)]Actarus:
What sort of time does that take in the gym?
Do you superset the singles somehow?
His idea is interesting..

Think about it.. if it takes 3-4 minutes to recover from a regular set of say 8 reps, we can speculate that it might take about 30 sec to recover from 1 rep, especially the first one which is the easiest.

So doing 1 rep at a time might not take longer than doing all of them at the same time.

And of course it is possible to do supersets.

Back