Which rep range is best

Ive done few cycles of hst over the past year. I've always had good gains during the 15's , moderate gains during the 10's and never gain during the 5's. I've taken a high calorie high protein diet during these cycles. I gain weight the whole way through the cycle but after the tens its all just fat. My diet is pretty much the same the whole way through. I don't feel like i'm really doing anything during the 5's

My excercises are pretty standard with one set per excercise. I do two compound excercises for the larger body parts and one excercise for bi's and tri's.

I was just thinking maybe i have a majority of slow twitch muscle fibres and should focus on high reps. Or should i just increse the number of sets per micro cycle.
This is contrary to what i've heard though that you need to train with low reps and low volume

If someone who knows could help me out that would be cool coz it will save me a lot of hassle.

Cheers

I tend to respond better to higher reps also, but you might want to increase the number of sets you do during the 5s. 2-3 sets, or perhaps drop sets, might be what you need to kick in additional gains during the lower reps. Good luck!

leegee hit the nail on the head, you should increase the number of sets in the 5's to three.

How have your strength gains been through the 5's and post 5's?

I personally love 8 to 10 reps
laugh.gif

If you are only making gains during the 15s, then you probably aren't even really making gains at all. The 15s can give you a swollen look from all the extra water and everything that your muscles are storing, but it will quickly go away once you take an extended break from high rep work.

Increase the number of sets like the guys suggested, but also once you get into the 5s, you could add a few sets of 15 reps to hit the whole body. That should give you the pump that the 15s were giving you, and who knows, might help out with your gains during the 5s.

Back