Why are Dips beyond all

• Thread starter imported_hannesburk
  • Start date
I

imported_hannesburk

hey guys

everyone here is promoting dips as major chest-exercise.can someone explain me why they're that good (anatomie?)and how you perform them for best results...ellbows near body?

greetings

Hannes

2 reasons:

1 - look at the muscles it involves:

Muscles
Target - Pectoralis Major, Sternal

Synergists - Deltoid, Anterior / Triceps Brachii / Pectoralis Major, Clavicular / Pectoralis Minor / Rhomboids / Levator Scapulae
Latissimus Dorsi / Teres Major

Stabilizers - Trapezius, Lower

2 - The amount of weight you can lift with it, beats any other chest exercise

That is enough reason for me, and I can't even do it because I don't have the equipment!
biggrin.gif

I dont have a dip station. But the wife has one of those gravity walker things. I just lock out the legs so that the hand grips are parallel, put on my dip belt and go for it. Works pretty well too. Improvisation is the mother of all workout machines!

be careful if your weight is back a dip hits the tris if your weight if forward it hits the chest.

So in a way a dip is two different exercizes -- it just depends on how you do them

Bob

As was said, dips hit a lot of muscles, can be done with a lot of weight, and favor the chest if you do them right. Forget the elbows. Spread the HANDS apart, look DOWN, with the back arched forward, and you'll hit chest. Many gym dip stations have the handles too close to be of much use for this, so you may have to find a corner of a deck with a railing or use some bar stools or something.

Head up, hands close, back straight, will hit the triceps most excellently.

Looking at that picture, if you imagine it up-side down, what he's doing is a chest press / push up action with his hands at 45 degrees, slightly declined (working the lower pec). I'm going to try doing a DB Chest Press on a decline bench, holding the weights at 45 degrees (not pronated and not neutral grip, half-way in between) It should be the same action.

Should be a good alternative for people who don't like dips, or who get shoulder pain...no disrespect to you dip lovers...

Peak

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm going to try doing a DB Chest Press on a decline bench, holding the weights at 45 degrees (not pronated and not neutral grip, half-way in between) It should be the same action.

Should be a good alternative for people who don't like dips, or who get shoulder pain...no disrespect to you dip lovers...</div>

Exactly my opinion, but the dip[s still ends up carrying more weight thus making it still a winner, make no mistake I unfortunatelly do not have a dip station my best shot is the kitchen bar stolls which are quite high.
laugh.gif

Perhaps it was the relative newness of the exercize (hadn't done them in about 25 years!), Dips worked great for me during cycle #1. I was able to achieve a fullness that I never had, back when all I did was Flat Bench and Incline Bench. I had tried declines as well, but they never seemed to do much.

I'm a believer in dips, and will incorporate them from now on, UNLESS my shoulders give me problems from doing them. At the moment, the Dips dont seem to aggrivate them, but who knows, I need more time to see.

<div>
(quadancer @ Sep. 06 2006,14:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For me to do that I would have to use 140 lb. dumbells to equal this weeks dips.  Ouch!</div>
Quoting myself here...heh. It occurs to me that the decline d/b's vs. dips are the same effect as with flat bench or incline d/b's vs. using a bar.

You can use less weight since you have to balance the d/b's, using more of the uh, synergistic muscles to assist the lift to get relatively the same workload.

I'd bet that a pair of 90's on decline would be appropriate for me right now to get the effect of my 207lbs with a 75 lb. load dipping with a belt. I quit doing decline because of age. I've read that we can get aneurisms in the eyes or brain from straining when upside down, so I play it safe.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm a believer in dips</div>
Count me in, too. I never really took dips seriously back when I was volume training (pre-HST), but they have been an integral part of my workout since I got started with HST. They've worked wonders for me. I believe the main reason they are so effective is the load they allow you to use (much greater than incline or flat bench). Good stretch, too.

Regards,
Dimitris

Back