Why do more then one work set?

HappyScrappy

I'm getting ready to start my 5s tomorrow, and doing 3 sets of 11 exercises seems a little daunting. Towards the end of the 10s I was in the gym for a little over an hour from doing 2 sets per exercise, and I'm not really interested in increasing that when I hit the 5s.

I tried breaking it down into an A, B split and hitting the gym 6 days a week, but that was far too much for me, and I ended up very fatigued.

I was reading through the HSQ FAQ Book and on page 45 it is recommended that you do 1-2 sets per exercise. There isn't any mention of increasing it over each 2 week cycle.

So my question is, when and why did this come about? Is it because some of you are doing routines that only consist of 5 or 6 compounds, so you need the extra bit of volume? The sample workout in the FAQ Book uses 12 exercises plus abs. With this number of movements is only 1 set necessary?

Bryan has made a few statements about volume and how to set it up.

He has stated use 2 sets for 15's, 2 sets for the first week of 10's and 5's then reduce this to 1 set during the second week. He has also said you should use the most volume you can while still allowing frequent loading.

I think what many have done is try to keep reps relatively constant throughout that's why many do the 1,2,3 set up = 15 to 20 reps throughout the entire cycle.

Happy: I did three sets of 11 exercises when I did 5s on my first HST cycle. It took me around 1 and half hours to get it done! This was in part due to having to change exercises so many times with inevitable delays waiting for somebody else to finish using the equipment.

I managed to speed things up a fair bit by using the same barbell as much as possible and by doing some super-sets. I was nearly always able to do calf raises and shoulder presses in this way.

However, in the end I decided it was too much so I have dropped down to 6/7 exercises each workout alternating between two full-body routines. This way I actually do just as many different movements but I can keep it to an hour. I spend much less time moving around the gym. I have been aiming for 25/30 reps throughout the cycle so that should mean 5 or 6 sets of 5s. Actually I am doing 3 or 4 and then adding a set of 10s too. So far, so good.

Deciding on the volume you can handle is down to your experience and recovery rate but there's no point in doing more than you need to.

If gains are good you may not want to mess with your set-up but it does sound as if you could do with reducing the number of exercises if you want to be done in an hour. Rather than an A/B split where you have upper and lower body workouts, just do two different, full-body w/os and stick to three times a week. If you find you can then do it much less than an hour either enjoy your extra free time or add a bit more volume. I went the extra volume route.
smile.gif

I noticed when I was doing my routine I was having the same problem. My solution was that when I went from 15's to 10's I dropped some of the exercises and when I went from th 10's to 5's I dropped a few more but made sure to keep the core compound movements and dropped any iso movements. I like doing 1 set of 15's, 2 of the 10's, and 3 of the 5's. But I also superset with 2-3 exercises to keep the tempo up. But I guess I'm still just a little too hard headed and can't completely give up the curls due to having some lagging bi's. Just my 2 cents

drop the isos in the 5s the heavy compounds will give your bis and tris a good workout
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Utilize drop sets. It's what your muscles 'perceive' as the load rather than the 'actual' load that counts. The 5's should not take take much longer than the 15's.

11 exercises at 2 sets a piece with 40 seconds TUT per set=1 min and 20 seconds lifting the weight.

Rest 1 min between sets this gives us 2 mins 20 seconds per exercise.

11 exercises x 2:20= equals 24 mins and 20 seconds in the gym even if you took between 2 mins between each exercise you would only be at 46 minutes total.

Sounds like to me you need to watch your time...cut back on whatever is taking you so long.

I do 20 sets and I can be out the door in 40 mins.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jul. 07 2006,13:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">11 exercises at 2 sets a piece with 40 seconds TUT per set=1 min and 20 seconds lifting the weight.

Rest 1 min between sets this gives us 2 mins 20 seconds per exercise.

11 exercises x 2:20= equals 24 mins and 20 seconds in the gym even if you took between 2 mins between each exercise you would only be at 46 minutes total.

Sounds like to me you need to watch your time...cut back on whatever is taking you so long.

I do 20 sets and I can be out the door in 40 mins.</div>
I didn't have a problem the first week of the each phase, it was the second one where the workouts ended up running too long.

I'm not sure about you guys, but resting only a minute after doing a set of 10 rep max squats, and expecting to get another 10 after that is unreasonable to me.

Since I'm starting my 5s tonight, I will keep a closer eye on my stop watch and see if I can get out in less time. I think I'll take Dan's suggestion and try the 2 sets the first week and 1 set the second.

After all this trial and error, I'll be primed to have a perfect second HST cycle
smile.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jul. 07 2006,09:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Utilize drop sets. It's what your muscles 'perceive' as the load rather than the 'actual' load that counts. The 5's should not take take much longer than the 15's.</div>
This is interesting. Are you suggesting that rather then do 3 separate sets during my 5s (or 2 during my 10s) that I do a single set, followed by 2 (or 1) dropsets?

If so, what sort of weight percentage should I be dropping it by in order to squeeze out the remaing sets?

Yup, that is what I do. I do one set of 5 reps at whatever weight is appropriateof , drop the weight a bit and do a second set of 5, then drop the weight again and do a third set of 5. It is hard to assign a % to drop the weight. It depends on where you are in the rep range. If it is your first day of 5's, the drop % will be pretty low while it will be pretty high if it is your last day of 5's and your working at your max weight. If you drop the weight too much and can crank out more reps than 5, go for it.

I had been doing 1 workset all the way through with great results. This cycle I am doing the vanilla plan Bryan laid out. 2sets during the 15s, 2 sets during the first week of 5s and 10s and then 1 work set the 2nd week of 5s and 10s. I am also adding some clustering in there too to help me with the added volume.

Keystone

Scrappy try to cut your rest periods down over the course of your next cycle.

Its tough at first it use to kick my butt...but once you get use to it ...its nice.

I know this is debatable by science studies...but some suggest shorter rest periods spike testosterone.

Some here will argue that...and maybe rightfully so.

I can just tell you from personal expierence I have rested anywhere in thepast from 3 to 5 mins between sets.

I personally like shorter rest periods...I think they are just as productive for hypertrophy and also great for your heart!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jul. 07 2006,09:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Utilize drop sets. It's what your muscles 'perceive' as the load rather than the 'actual' load that counts. The 5's should not take take much longer than the 15's.</div>
Isn't this against everything Dan teached us with Max Stimulation, aka fatigue is stupid and load s cool?

I'll let Dan answer that question Jorn. If we all agreed 100% on everything, there would be no need for this forum.
biggrin.gif

Also, every person's routine should be tailored to what specifically works for at a specific point in their tyraining life based on their personal schedules. The question above was more geared toward the issue of timing as oppossed to what is most effective. Supersetting, giant sets and drop sets are an effective way to get as much training in as short a period as possible.

However, keep asking questions like that Jorn as that is how we all can learn a little bit more. I look forward to hearing Dan's reply.

Back