will 5 sets help?

Hi there. I want to put some emphasis on my chest when working out. If I do 2 sets of bench and incline, then 1 set of dips. Would that help increase mass, or is it just a waste of time. Thanks a lot.

If anything, you should do more sets on the dips, rather than on the bench. Dips, in my experience, stimulate a lot more growth in the chest than benching does. Of course you'll need to eat a lot also. Try negatives on dips.

If you work out at home, you could try doing two workouts during the day--your regular full body workout at one time and then do your other chest-only routine, so you'd be increasing the frequency and getting the summation effect of a chest workout twice a day.

This should help since you want to emphasize your chest, but I wouldn't do it forever as it could result in strange proportions. Good luck.

HST plus normal workout. isnt that like overtraining. lol. anwayz I can switch bench press to dips. I dont care, I am just concerned with will 5 sets help?

It would not be overtraining. You'd do your "regular" HST full body workout during the day, and then at some other point in the day you'd do some more dips or bench.

This would definitely not be overtraining--some HSTers, (like Bryan himself) employ an AM/PM split where they do full body twice a day. They just adjust volume accordingly for each workout.

Nope, can't see that doing 5 sets in a session will help you more than if you were doing 2 sets.

Focus on dips and incline bench. Alternate between sessions or do a set of each in your session. Remember to eat :)

i have a question regarding Bryans routine in faq I see were he does 2 sets for each exercise say for chest he does incline press for 2 sets and dips for 2 sets which equal 4 sets for chest total. On the am pm workout does he do this or is it just for full body routine once a day meaning. 4 sets a day total on full body or 2 sets in the morning 1 set incline 1 set dip and the same in afternoon equaling 4 sets total?:confused:

I may have just confused everyone let me say again if you take full body at 2 sets a piece it equals 4 sets total for say chest but if you keep this the same in am pm workout then it would equal 8 sets total that day...so I am guessing if you go to am pm workout you cut everything in half on a regular hst 3 times a week full body correct?

adjusting your form may help more than adding more sets
when doing chest, pull your shoulder blades together slightly, roll your shoulders back and down a little.
focus your attention on your chest, do not think of just moving the weight but think of your chest pushing all of the weight up as if your arms are doing nothing. do not bring the dumbells anywhere near each other at the top and do not go near full lockout, stretch at the bottom portion, no pauses between eccentric and concetric phases, keep the tension on the chest the whole time

Shwaym thats a great point. Let me add this about that tip.

I have been working out for a decade and one thing everyone needs to do is lift through there full range of motion. That beings said why do I agree with Shwaym? Well the reason is b/c he is right about tension. Now would you want to lift like that for chest for a year straight? Absolutly not b/c it would cause week points, but do what he says for say a cycle or two and man you will be stronger and way bigger. This is b/c of TUT. You can do it for all lifts. Always keep the fundamentals down for lifting, but once you get the knowledge expierement with different exercises to make things tough. These are great ways to bust through persona bests and plateau's....which speaking of plateaus if you are at one dont forget to SD!

Joe :D

Hey :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hi there. I want to put some emphasis on my chest when working out. If I do 2 sets of bench and incline, then 1 set of dips. Would that help increase mass, or is it just a waste of time. Thanks a lot.

Not a waste of time. Actually, what you should be following about volume is: do as much as you can.

As much as you can means all the reps/sets you can do while still avoiding CNS fatigue and not compromising your ability to train more frequently.

For those who aren't bb vets, yep, 1 or 2 sets pretty much does it, as long as the load is significant. However, there is no magic about that, and doing less than what you can actually do (again meaning you could have done more and still train as frequently) is more pointless. This is especially true when you've been training for many years already, and you'll find that you need more sets than just the prescribed 1 or 2.

So will 5 sets be better? If you can actually do 5 sets, you should do that, that means it would be better than just sticking to 2 sets. If you can't, perhaps because you find that it tires you so much that you feel you need to delay your next workout by a day or two, then that's ok, don't do 5 sets, do less. Just monitor your fatigue levels, and do as much volume as you can manage. If it falls within the prescribed 1 or 2 sets per exercise, then that's all you should do.

As for the exercise selection, I would suggest keeping only the incline bench press and the dips. But that's just me. Generally, as long as you do the exercises properly and do the right amount of volume for you, I can imagine only very little difference in hypertrophy.

Regards and good luck!
-JV

Back