Use Suppliments?

NZlifter

Does everyone here use suppliments? What have the differences in gains etc.. been when using them or not? What have been the most benificial, in your opinion? Not talking about hormone type.
I am allergic to dairy so most of my protein comes from meat. Any one else not use dairy?

Thanks

NZlifter

In my experience, you can definitely get plenty of protein from your diet without having to supplement. Can get expensive in the long run and sometimes is not very convenient, but none-the-less, it can be done. Whey protein isolate or hydrosolate seem to have less of an allergenic effect being they arer stripped of many of the immunoglobins and the such. Still may be too risky for you, so look into an egg protein powder if you need a post workout shake. Dare I say, soy protein may even be an option for you, but from my readings you should avoid soy isolate because it may have more of estrogenic effect in that form. Last but not least, CREATINE! It is almost a necessity in the strength trainers diet for its ability to increase power output, speed recovery, and cause water retention within the muscle cell which will make you look bigger and may help increase protein synthesis. HSN sales micronized creatine at a great price and I have had no ill effects from its use as one may get from regular creatine monohydrate. Good luck...

P.S. Multi-vitamin and mineral supplement if you are coming up short in the fruit and veggie dept.

I was starting to have a bad reaction to whey protein so I stopped taking protein powders all together and went moreso towards actual food in order to get my protein. I actually wound up gaining a bit more mass than I did taking the powder. The only supplement I take now is creatine which is great.

Any opinions of a Creatine that is marketed specifically for women? Claims to reduce bloating -- I can't imagine how it could be different in any way (i.e. marketing ploy?)

another question -- what is the best fish oil?

Thanks for the advice peeps, good to hear someone has had good results without protein supps. :)

I think i will start off with creatine then later maybe try some egg protein as you said BIZ. I have tried isolate and a few other types and they make me dang sick, so their out
sad.gif
. Dont know about the soy either, i also have heard some bad things.

What is the difference between micronised and normal creatine? Is it just ground up alot more? Just tell me if im being lazy and the info is on the site.

Chuck - What do you use post workout? Do you just try to eat as soon as possible?

elle11 - I think it is salmon oil.

NZlifter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Dec. 11 2003,2:07)]Whey protein isolate or hydrosolate seem to have less of an allergenic effect being they arer stripped of many of the immunoglobins and the such.
IF you get an isolate to remove some of the immunoglobulins, get Ion exchange, as it seems to get rid of the most.

Hydrolysate would be better, as its just whey broken down into smaller AA chains.

NZlifter, try looking into soy protein as well, as it provides an alternative to dairy based powders. By allergic, what do you mean, you get a full on puffy face, swelling n all, or just have GI distress?

I take very little supplements other than whey, and thats only for convenience sakes rather than a requirement.
Micronised creatine is gound up more, basically.

You dont need a shake pre/post, you can get everything you want from food.

Aaron_F, I usually get pretty bad GI distress for about 3 days afterwards. Really not a good feeling. I might try a few of the products my friends have got, otherwise I may end up with something i cant use.

I have been off all dairy, proccessed grains and refined sugar for about 7 months now and have had dramatic results with my training and how i feel. I've lost about 6 - 8kgs and put on about 5 - 7kgs in muscle. It has been really good so far but is time consuming and inconvenient at times, for this reason i may try a protein supp.

What have peoples results been with creatine? Have you experience any significant strength losses when coming off it?

NZlifter

i cant say that i noticed much (if any difference in perfromance while on creatine). I used it for 2 months at 5g/day every day. The only thing i noticed was a dramatic increase in body-weight within the first few weeks (3kgs).
After i stopped taking it my weight dropped back about 3kgs within a month (inspite of contiuning training and the same diet).
I never really liked creatine. it made me feel sick in the head while drinking it. it didnt really do much for me either. So i dont bother with it anymore.
The best thing you can do to grow is to consume more calories im my opinion. I use whey only for conveinince (as Aaron said)

Micronized creatine is a much smaller particle than regular creatine, so it helps to eleviate some of the bloating, cramping, and runs that some have complained about. How? Well, it is absorbed much easier through the intestines due to its size. Larger particles do not pass easily through the small intestines and therefore may draw more water into the intestines and cause the bloating and such. So, smaller particles, better absorption.

Creatine works and works well for most. Some are classified as non-responders, but not 100% sure the cause of that. If you respond, then it will likely be in the form of weight gain and an increase of power. You will recover a bit quicker with creatine as well. Including more protein in your diet while using creatine may aide in retaining more of the gains you made, but there is still the chance that you will lose some strength and size after a few weeks of cessation. Should you use it? Why not. Who wouldn't want to risk gaining some size and strength on a rather harmless supplement, provided you remain well hydrated.

not sure if i made myself clear. I was a responder. but i personally dont consider that response important in the grand scheme of things. I agree with the 'why not take it anyway since it might help growth?' attitude...except that i have an answer for that question.

Thanks for the replys guys. So i guess that means i can get my creatine put it in the mortar and pestle and make my own micronized creatine? ;)

Maybe one reason you might not want to take it, would be the psychological effect of coming off it and loosing size and strength. I know that would piss me off. I guess it depends how much you loose though.

NZlifter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NZlifter @ Dec. 12 2003,1:17)]Maybe one reason you might not want to take it, would be the psychological effect of coming off it and loosing size and strength. I know that would piss me off. I guess it depends how much you loose though.
NZlifter
Maybe - but why "come off of it?"

It's not a steroid, there's absolutely no need to cycle on and off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I agree with the 'why not take it anyway since it might help growth?' attitude...except that i have an answer for that question.

What is your answer? That you lost the results? Then don't stop using it for more than a few weeks at a time, if at all. Results you gain from the use of creatine will be more likely to be kept the longer you take creatine. Why? Similar to AAS in the sense that early gains can be attributed to water retention, but the longer you are on it, the increased poundages and protein synthesis start to actually increase fiber size which will not be completely lost upon cessation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What is your answer? That you lost the results?

no. i think that the mindset for taking creatine is the same as the mindset for using gloves while training or training on a machine that has a rubber grip. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing any of these things...its just not a mindset i share.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]no. i think that the mindset for taking creatine is the same as the mindset for using gloves while training or training on a machine that has a rubber grip. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing any of these things...its just not a mindset i share.
I guess I am bit confused about what you insinuate here, but I respect your opinion none-the-less.

Soy Isolate is great stuff. I've used it for months and I haven't noticed any estrogenic effects. The rumor that soy isolate causes that come from the fact that there are a lot of phytoestrogens (plant estrogen) present in soy foods. However, these are not present in soy isolate.

Furthermore, I haven't seen any studies proving that these weak plant estrogens cause any more estrogen receptors to fire, quite the contrary actually, since the phytoestrogens are weaker, if they do by chance bond with an estrogen receptor, they likely won't do much. Whereas if the stronger estrogen that you yourself produce bonds with such a receptor, then it will do much more. There are only so many estrogen recptors in your body, and throwing the weaker estrogens into the mix probably won't make any difference at all.

Back