Energy levels low for workout

Arbitro

I'm currently struggling with low energy levels during workouts, and am seeking some advice/suggestions on possible changes.

I am currently just beginning week 5 of a cut. Currently, I have gone from 184.5 to 177.5 (first several pounds were water), and seem to currently be holding steady at weight & waistline measurements, though some muscle measurements are down slightly. Apart from the 1st week, I am dropping about 1lb/week. I'm pleased with that number, but measurement changes are disappointing. Different issue though. My bf% is currently in the 14-17% range.

Basically, the issues I'm having are:

- reduced strength levels; difficulty hitting desired reps/sets, sometimes hitting concentric failure prematurely

- just running out of gas overall

I do understand that while hypocaloric, I may see some strength degradation, so I may be concerned about nothing - but I'm concerned nonetheless.

As noted below, I recently started adding some dextrose pre-workout (20-25g), as well as a stimulant, to help with this but I don't notice much of a change.

I've considered increasing overall daily carb intake, but that's difficult to do & still remain sufficiently hypocaloric. I have also wondered whether a carb load/refeed might be in order. I'm not sure whether the issue is related to glycogen depletion or other factors.

I have also considered more of a calorie cycling approach, going moderate carb (100-150g) on training days, and as close to zero as possible on off days. This would help keep me in caloric deficit.

Here is some other pertinent background info:

Training: HST, using a 2-on/1-off push/pull split.

Diet: began at a simple 500 calorie deficit (maintenance=about 2000), with steady low-carb (<50g). About 1 week ago - about the time I started to plateau - I started more of a TKD, with about 50g dextrose around workout (25g pre and post, with whey). So on training days my carbs were around 80-100g. Overall, macros are around 50%P, 25%C, 25%F.

Supplements: fish oil & whey. Ran out of creatine awhile back. At the time, I didn't think I was a responder, but now I'm wondering. I decided to try Kreataine Ultra from BSL, as well as GO, their pre-workout stimulant. No noticable effect from either. Am going to reintroduce creatine shortly.

All thoughts are appreciated.

When i diet ,which means i eat low carb all day (100-120g including veggies), if i use simple sugars bfore w/o I suck (really low energy loss of pump etc) so my approach is :

1 hour bfore lifting: 30g oatmeal + 200g eggwhites

Bfore leaving for gym i have this shake: 20g whey + 10g casein +250ml water + 150g Banana + 3 teaspoons soluble coffe + some noncaloric sweetener +3g creatine.

As soon as i can after w/o (probably 30 mins):solid meal

if you want more details ask

Make sure you are getting enough sleep as well. When I cut carbs, I get restless and sometimes find it difficult to sleep well. Cycling your diet like that can work pretty well, even if it's to cycle when you eat what during a given day. I did that all carbs in the first 6 hours thing and dropped weight without even cutting back my total calories. Not intentionally, anyway. But after 3 meals in 6 hours of some heavy carbs, I didn't have much appetite left, so I ended up just drinking protein the rest of the day. I didn't notice any fatigue at all doing that, and I dropped about 15 pounds in 2 weeks. Too much too fast, I know, but like I said, I didn't even try to drop my calories down. Also, try doing more cardio and eating more, it sounds like your metabolism is shutting down. And I like coffee- 2 cups black about 15 minutes before my workout is the best stimulant I've tried. Good luck.

Back