The Warrior Diet

ttboyy2k

Has anyone tried the Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler? You basically fast for 16-18hrs and then overeat for one meal. Thinking about trying it, just curious of others who had experience with it.

Not good really

he does hype it up nicely tho.

You are spending 16+ hours per day in a catabolic state (no food), then you have a specific set of instructions on how to binge at the ned of the day (eat veges, then lean protein and then add in carbs)
all it then becomes is a fancyful way to eat less.
Its not the best method to grow. Sure potentially a bolus of protein could be stored better, but there is no data in bodybuilders etc.
TMag had an article on Ori a fair while back, as well as a more altered 'warrior diet' which ended up becomming more of a animabolics diet (what ever it was called). I think Caleb at avant also had something similar in his magazine, but it revolved around the training session 3x weekly (prior to the training session)

What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Try the diet for a month or so to see if you like it and if it produces the results you're looking for.

I tried the Anabolic diet a few years ago. It worked okay, but I didn't enjoy eating all the fat/oil. Some people really like it a lot though.

I know this is an old topic, but I would like to bump it to the top because it brings up a question that I've had for a while. It's true the Warrior Diet is extreme with regard to it's bare bones structure. But with a slight adjustment to the basic premise, it brings up some issues.

We all know that pre, during, and post WO nutrition is most important. I've always wondered that if you get all your protein/calories at that time, is it even necessary to eat at other times in the day? Many will say yes, due to the body's need for a constant amino acid supply. But I doubt neanderthal man ate 6 times a day or had a constant amino acid supply. Yet he was leaner and more musled than anyone today. But that could be all genetics too?

Not eating all the time is definitely a convenience and I've also found that my thought process is much sharper without eating. And by eating, I'm talking of ketogenic meals during the day. No carbs and insulin swings to blame.

I've also noticed that I am not as hungry. I feel this is due to my metabolism coming to a halt. Or is it that my body has actually shifted to burning fat and is happy?

I know I'm bringing up points that are controversial. But I'm looking for some evidence, mainly empirical, from those who've played with these ideas and put them to practice. Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Girth @ Aug. 27 2003,2:16)]But I doubt neanderthal man ate 6 times a day or had a constant amino acid supply. Yet he was leaner and more musled than anyone today.
I want some verification that neanderthal man was leaner and more muscular than bb'ers today.

Also, as you noted, genetics is a factor. Silverbacks are much more muscular than humans and they eat vegetable/fruit all day. Should we eat like gorillas?

Forgive me for not having the actual studies handy, but I do remember reading something based on research into homo sapiens of 100,000 years ago. Showing that based on their bone structure, footprint, etc. they were the largest and leanest. Then again, that may be one and only one study. And my not having it, is akin to the trolling that is rampant in internet forums.

Anyone else?....Brian......Protein Pulse?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (virtualcyber @ Aug. 27 2003,9:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Girth @ Aug. 27 2003,2:16)]But I doubt neanderthal man ate 6 times a day or had a constant amino acid supply. Yet he was leaner and more musled than anyone today.
I want some verification that neanderthal man was leaner and more muscular than bb'ers today.
Also, as you noted, genetics is a factor. Silverbacks are much more muscular than humans and they eat vegetable/fruit all day. Should we eat like gorillas?
Neanderthal I don't know but Paleolithic man looked like most hunther gatherers look to this day, not huge, but relatively fit.

Neither of them were particiularly huge, in as much as normal huntergathers nowdaysa int exactly buff. Being big and muscular is pointless for their style of food gathering

but there is the occasional silver buttocked gorilla

I read Hofmekler's book and tried the diet several months ago.

The book was definitely a mixed bag...there seemed to be some "folk wisdom" underlying the diet, and some intriguing hypotheses. But there didn't appear to be any serious science.

Nevertheless, I was curious enough to try it. The thought of being able to gorge without getting fat was an irresistable notion.

As a maintenance diet, it seemed to work well enough...I maintained my bodyweight and felt fine. In fact, I seemed to feel an improvement in my mood and sense of alertness during the "fasting" portion of the day, in the first couple of weeks of the diet. But it's difficult to evaluate this type of response--let alone measure it.

In reading the book, I got the impression that Hofmekler had experience making the diet work as a way to stay lean, but not as a way to gain muscle mass efficiently.

Although the diet seemed to work, it didn't work for me quite the way Hofmekler said it would. He said you could eat as much as you wanted until your thirst overpowered your desire to eat. Didn't work that way for me. I still had to pay attention to calories, or I could have gotten fat.

For me, the bottom line was that it didn't feel like a healthy way to diet on a longterm basis. All that mass and energy dumped into my body in one feeding, day after day

I also worried about stretching my stomach, or even messing around with insulin sensitivity.

I'd rather do it on an occasional basis.

Bryan Haycock mentioned research which indicates something like the Warrior diet may work for muscle gain:

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/haycock/protein-pulse-feeding.htm

I guess we'll have be the experimenters and the experimentees.

However, since I've had difficulty gaining significant muscle mass, I'm going to go with what's worked most often...until the science shows a better way.

The detailed, empirical, post is much appreciated. I also found the same thing with regard to eating too much, alertness, and muscle mass. Since bumping this thread a few days ago, I've switched back to a more traditional TKD. P/F meals up to my workout, and the P/C meals post WO. I already have more energy.

Back