Is brown rice and wild rice the same thing?

AdamCJX*

Cant seem to fin the GI for wild rice. Is it the same as brown rice? I bought some brown rice, but when I cooked it, it looked just like normal rice. Just because I love rice, but am trying to eat the right type since I'm cutting now.

Thanks.

No. It is not the same thing. I think I remember hearing that wild rice is not even rice at all, it is some kind of grass. But it definitely is not brown rice.

Wild rice is not grass. It's just the rice befiore it get bleached and pilled. But I was wondering if it's the same in terms of GI. Because the brown rice I found, after cooked it became white. So I'm afraid it's just normal white rice. So i got this wild rice which the guy at the store told me is the most healthy type of rice. But I couldn't find the GI anywhere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AdamCJX* @ April 26 2004,5:04)]Wild rice is not grass. It's just the rice befiore it get bleached and pilled. But I was wondering if it's the same in terms of GI. Because the brown rice I found, after cooked it became white. So I'm afraid it's just normal white rice. So i got this wild rice which the guy at the store told me is the most healthy type of rice. But I couldn't find the GI anywhere.
brown rice becomes white rice with processing. you can't process wild rice into anything. wild rice is the seed of a grass. but i don't know the GI of it however.

If you go to glycemicindex.com, you can find a database of many foods and their corresponding glycemic ratings. Type in wild rice and you will find that it has a rating of 57.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AdamCJX* @ April 27 2004,7:11)]So brown rice becomes white after cooked? Did I understand it right?
Thanks
no, you can buy either brown or white rice in bags. its dry. then you add water and cook it, and it becomes larger and softer, but it stays white or brown, depending on what you bought.

turning brown to white rice is a process that is done in the factory, not your kitchen.

So there's something wrong with the brown rice I got. It's brown before cooked. But after, it looks dirty white, but sure not as brown as it was. It says Natural Rice in the bag.

Hmmm. wondering if I got the wrong stuff. The sales guy at the store said it was brown rice. For me it looks like white rice after cooked. :confused:

Brown rice turns a very light tan color when cooked- if you overcook it, or cook it too fast, the hull will crack, the germ will burst forth in all its whiteness, giving your cooked rice the appearance of white rice. Not to worry- the nutrition is still there, but if you want more attractive brown rice (that doesn't look like each grain hit a land mine), try this:
1.Add 1C rice and 2C *cold* water, with 1/4tsp salt, to a pot and tightly cover. There should be no gaps between the lid and the pot. Don't use a pot that has a poring spot, for example.
2.Quickly bring to a boil- as *soon* as the water hits boiling, turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Let the rice simmer at this setting until you hear a crackling sound- this will take around 25-35 minutes, depending on how hot your lowest heat setting is.
3. Fluff and enjoy!

Of course, the alternative is to use a rice cooker, if you're fortunate enough to have one.
Jake

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake @ April 27 2004,9:34)]Brown rice turns a very light tan color when cooked- if you overcook it, or cook it too fast, the hull will crack, the germ will burst forth in all its whiteness, giving your cooked rice the appearance of white rice.
...that's good to know.

i have been served a motley dish of brown rice at a restaurant with lots of white showing and was concerned that it really started as white rice and was modified in preparation.
yet... aren't you referring to the endosperm (all that's left in refined white rice), not the germ (embryo), that bursts from the hull (bran)?

grain1.jpg

pic shown is of wheat, but it should be equivalent to a (whole) rice grain.

-bug

I prefer white long grain, both for taste and texture, as far as glycemic value long grain white is about the same as brown.

Rice for instance ranges from 38 - 94 on the glycemic index scale as a result of rice being available as white and brown rice, and there is short-grain, medium-grain, and long-grain rice, as well as those types of rice that either do, or do not contain amylose - all having varying effects on the glycemic index.

GI of Grains
Buckwheat 54
Bulgur 48
Basmati Rice 58
Brown Rice 55
Long grain White Rice 56
Short grain White Rice 72
Uncle Ben's Converted 44
Noodles (instant) 46
Taco Shells 68

Yes, thanks Bug! I'm fortunate to be near a good Chinese restaurant that's whole foods conscious, and man, do they know how to cook brown rice- it's absolutely perfect. Also, my mom used to cook it in the oven- 1C brown rice, 2C water, a little salt, and about 1TBS butter- cook at 350 for about an hour- it comes out perfect that way too- no splits- but you gotta have the time :confused:

Barley is also a great source of soluble fiber (one of the best grain sources, actually), and therefore helpful in reducing LDL levels.
Jake

Back