fatty acids

Nemesis7884

hey how do you get your essent. f. a. - with a supp such as fishoil? or with oils (olive oil or somthing like that)?...how much should you get in your bulking diet? between 20-30 %?= from which the essential ones take the biggest part?

Get around 20-=-30% total fat in your diet. EFAs will take up a bit of this (polys usually 8-10% total fat) or a third. A third mono and a third saturates is a simple goal.

There are plenty of sources of EFas, however Olive oil is a source of monounsaturates (well its predominanly Oleic Acid C18:1) it contains little to no EFA's

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ May 10 2004,4:41)]hey how do you get your essent. f. a. - with a supp such as fishoil? or with oils (olive oil or somthing like that)?...how much should you get in your bulking diet? between 20-30 %?= from which the essential ones take the biggest part?
You may want to read this about EFA.

One bodybuilding supplement lately has captured the attention of both researchers and athletes. It's CLA, short for conjugated linoleic acid. Linoleic acid belongs to a family of essential fatty acids called omega-6 fatty acids and performs a number of important metabolic functions in the body. Whereas linoleic acid is present in many vegetable oils, CLA occurs primarily in beef and dairy products. Its commercial form is derived from sunflower oil.

The first two human studies on CLA supplementation were recently reported. At the 1997 National Strength and Conditioning Association conference in Las Vegas, Richard Kreider, Ph.D., of Memphis State University in Tennessee, presented his study of CLA supplementation's effects during resistance training on catabolism (tissue breakdown), body composition and strength. In a double-blind manner, researchers randomly assigned 27 experienced resistance-trained males to supplement their diets for 28 days with capsules containing either an olive oil placebo or CLA. Fasting blood samples, total body mass and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry determined body composition. Bench-press and leg-press tests on days zero and 28 measured strength.

After the 28-day supplementation period, researchers found no differences between the two groups in gross measures such as body weight, fat mass or fat-free mass. However, further analysis showed that the CLA group increased their overall strength for bench press and leg press by almost 30 pounds, while the placebo group improved by only 9.5 pounds. Though not statistically significant, these changes could indicate a trend. In addition, differences in the ratio of blood urea nitrogen to creatinine--a marker of anabolic (tissue building) vs. catabolic (tissue breakdown) status--suggested a potential net anabolic effect.7 A longer supplementation period might lead to statistically significant differences.

CLA For Nonathletes
Researcher Erling Thom, Ph.D., from Medstat Research Ltd., in Lillestrom, Norway, conducted such a study. His randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial on 20 healthy people lasted three months. Researchers measured subjects' body weight and percent of body fat at baseline, then every four weeks thereafter. Each day, the treatment group took slightly more than 1 g of CLA at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The other half took a placebo. The average weight of the 10 who took CLA dropped by about five pounds (not enough to reach statistical significance), but the body-fat percentage dropped by 15 to 20 percent, or from 21.3 percent of average body fat to 17 percent of body fat (p < 0.05). Meanwhile, the group taking a placebo had little change.

Half the people in the study were men; half were women. Two dropped out because of unpleasant gastrointestinal upsets. Of these, one was from the placebo group, the other from the CLA group.8

The positive results from this pilot study lay the groundwork for future research on different patient populations, such as people with obesity.

Although scientists aren't yet sure how CLA works, they've developed three theories.

1) CLA may directly affect fat metabolism. By preferentially burning fat and sparing muscle glycogen, muscle mass is preserved at the expense of fat stores during exercise and fasting.

2) It may also negate or counteract the adverse effects of hormones such as corticosteroids. Overtraining, severe illness and other stresses cause cortisol levels to rise. This adrenal gland hormone elevates blood sugar levels, breaks down muscle protein, and increases fat deposition.

3) CLA may increase production of prostaglandin E1,9 a type of fatty acid that increases brain levels of the hormone somatotropin--which may give athletes an advantage.10 Somatotropin increases growth hormone output that, in turn, increases muscle growth. Prostaglandin E1 also increases blood flow to the muscles, brain and other organs.11

However CLA works, preliminary data suggest it may help people, particularly athletes, who need to burn fat while preserving muscle mass. Research indicates an ideal daily dose of CLA ranges from 0.01 to 2 percent or more of daily caloric intake.12 One study proposes that an effective dose for a 165-pound person is 3-5 g/day.13

Doses of this magnitude require supplementation. Most people ingest less than 1 g/day of CLA from food sources, which are largely limited to meat and dairy. For example, cheese averages 2.9 mg-7.1 mg of CLA per gram of fat. A 3 g CLA dose requires eating several pounds of cheese a day. That's a lot of unwanted dietary fat, so it makes more sense to take CLA supplements.

Before people begin buying all the CLA off the health-store shelves, though, more research must be done on athletes--and the rest of the population.

um, CLA is not a true essential fatty acid, its a metabolite of one of the EFA's

In other words, its not essential, LA is..

olive oil is over rated i rekon taste and health wise.
grape seed oil is good stuff has a high smoke point(300+f) and is a polyunsaturated oil that is rich in linoleic acid(70%) a efa.

hmm i will have to add just pure oil to my diet...right now im just on around 15 % fatt (35 % prot / 50 % carbs) WITHOUT a big bunch of protein powders...dont ask me why, but ive got problem to get enough fat in my diet....it looks like that (without wheights/calories - its around 2800 kcal)

morning:
2 eggs (whole)
100g oatmeal
500ml milk

middle of the morning
chicken sandwich (around 100g chicken)

lunch
70g rice (thats 1 cup?)
200g chicken
100g veggies

middle
100g banana (1)
200g low fat quark

pre workout
primer+

post workout
driver+

dinner
150g chicken in wather
70g rice

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fire @ May 17 2004,4:19)]olive oil is over rated i rekon taste and health wise.
grape seed oil is good stuff has a high smoke point(300+f) and is a polyunsaturated oil that is rich in linoleic acid(70%) a efa.
considering the average diet has an excess of LA, why do you want to add more?

What oil would you suggest then?
Is too many efa's bad for you?

Too much may be bad, especially when overdoing balance. In the average diet, there is an excess of n-6 fats (Linoleic and its metabolites, generally AA) and a smaller amount of n-3 fats(alpha linolenic acid and its metabolites EPA ad DHA usually)

You usualyl do not have to add extra LA into the diet, but additional n-3 fats whether by selecting a source of ALA (usually vegebased) or EPA (usually fish sourced)

Olive oil has its place, in that it has oleic acid as its predominant fatty acid, and a monounsaturate is good for bulking up the fat intake. Good quality olive oil, such as a good extra virgin also has a large quantity of various health promoting bioflavanoids etc which are useful.

So in other words, it depends ($ to lyle)

ok cool must move olive oil back to the front of the pantry.

Arn't the omega 6's (LA) converted to omega 3's if needed or is it more complicated?
And what does the fact we get too much LA mean for flax seed oil users?
ps found one book that says we get a ratio of 22:1
of 6's to 3's when would be better if was like 2:1 or 1:1
so you dead right about we get too much LA.
Does all this mean that fish oil would be the best supplement?

hmmm I think it gets kind of complicated if you have to be aware of the ratio between satured/essential fa's....where do you actually get your fat from? could you maybe give an example of a daily schedule? this would be the best to give me an idea of it....I'd appreciate it!
thx

As we are on topic...

can i consider almonds a good complement to olive oil in terms of n-3/n-6 balance?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ May 16 2004,5:18)]hmm i will have to add just pure oil to my diet...right now im just on around 15 % fatt (35 % prot / 50 % carbs) WITHOUT a big bunch of protein powders...dont ask me why, but ive got problem to get enough fat in my diet....it looks like that (without wheights/calories - its around 2800 kcal)
morning:
2 eggs (whole)
100g oatmeal
500ml milk
middle of the morning
chicken sandwich (around 100g chicken)
lunch
70g rice (thats 1 cup?)
200g chicken
100g veggies
middle
100g banana (1)
200g low fat quark
pre workout
primer+
post workout
driver+
dinner
150g chicken in wather
70g rice
Sorry for asking, but does any of that include greens at all? Not to be critical, but I see nothing there that would indicate that there is a full spectrum there. Broccoli, or spinach might do wonders. Cabbage, or any kind of lettuce might help with respiration as well. Do you take a vitamin supplement?

Stretch

Nemesis7884 everyone is different so you must consider your own fat intake individually but its seems LA is good for lowering cholesterol which is only handy if its high.
I use grape seed oil or advacado oil for frying because they have high smoke point and olive oil for salads and after cooking along with macadamia nut oil.
Coconut oil is good but tastes yuk but get some now and then if have coconut cream it will lower your bad cholestrol (LDL)while raising your good cholestrol(HDL) so some say something to do with its high in a certain type of triglcerides.
I avoid saturated fats(dairy products being largest contributor) as much as possible and trans-fat always.
Also get some fats from nuts mainly being walnuts(highest in protein) cashews and brazil nuts which have selenium in (something to do with cell repair)
As far as amount goes have seen suggested for bodybuilders as high as 30% but somehwere in the 20-30% range be ok am not sure what studies have been done to prove a high fat diet gives you more testosterone but say 20% you can work out your own target :total calories x 20% =daily cals from fat /9 =____grams fat.
e.g.2000 cals x .20 = 400 divided by 9 =45 grams total fat.

P.S. and of course missed out fish oil which is the best source for omega 3's probably the king of fats.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fire @ May 24 2004,2:27)]seems LA is good for lowering cholesterol which is only handy if its high.
Depends on several factors. If you replace one fat with la/ala cholesterol will possibly be reduced.
But if its added in addition to other fats its more likely to increase cholesterol.
Also, in large doses it has a stimulatory effect on ldl AND potentially decreases HDL. Fish oil is similar.

Especially for those with raised cholesterol to start with.

Its a complicated thing :)

Back