New to Weightlifting

vomit

I was wondering if anyone could answer for me if the HST style of training is the best approach for someone who is new to weightlifting. I am 19 years old, and weigh about 160 pounds with about 20 percent body fat and have never lifted weights before. I would like to lose the bodyfat first (while keeping what muscle I already have), and then try to add some muscle. Is HST the optimal approach for those who have never lifted weights before, or is there some variation on the HST principles that newcomers should use?

Hi vomit. Welcome to the HST Forum!!!

Yes, I think HST is the best approach to training, even for a beginner. Let's put it this way: when I was a beginner, if I would have found this forum right off, I would have started immediately with HST instead of monkeying around with HIT and German Volume Training, and other programs that didn't pan out.

I've gotta say that over the last six weeks, HST put about 5/8 inches on my arms (other measurements pending). I've never had that kind of growth from any other program, ever!!!

IMHO: give HST a good go.

Cheers.

I wouldnt work out the rep maxes as a newbie. It would be best to pick a really light weight and keep increasing it over time, basiclaly the high rep work outs at the begining are the best for beginers because it allows them plenty of reps to learn the movments.

In terms of losing fat and all that, just tidy up your diet, eat adequate protien and moderate calories (around maitnenance, but it would be hard to pick) and just train. You will probably do both at once.
Dont get too caught up in the gotta do low carb, gotta eat 2.34g protein every 3.5 minutes or my fibula will collapse under its own weight sorta thing. Its not really necessary for the majority of weight trainers.

Actually I wouldn't start a beginner on HST. If someone has never weightlifted and isn't doing sports, they probably have slight to moderate muscle imbalances and a general lack of coordination. I'd spend 2 months correcting that before I thought about putting them on a mass routine. Otherwise any muscle built will only exacerbate existing problems -- this happened with me and now I'm having to spend great time and energy dealing with it after the fact.

Calkid,

Don't you think that HST can be tailored to suit beginners? For instance, why not use Aaron_F's approach of lighter weights increasing over time? Or, what about creating a higher-rep-based version of HST, such as 15s, 12s, 9s or 8s, for an introductory cycle?

When I started lifting, I was directed right into the whole HIT scene, as though that was the only way to train. I busted my rear going to failure on every set, several times a week. I don't think I gained much by doing this. But when I switched to HST, everthing seemed to kick into gear. This experience is what prompted my response to vomit's question.

I completely agree with Navigator and Aaron, although I also see Cal's point. I'd address that by doing the light weights thing, maybe extending the 15s a week or two, but also doing just a few basic compounds. That said, vomit (ugh!)), you probably should stay away from complicated compounds like squats and DLs, unless you have a trainer or can schedule a one-on-one with someone very experienced. In fact, I'd suggest at least checking out a site like exrx.net, and finding a knowledgeable individual to coach you on your form.
HTH- and welcome!
Jake

Thanks guys for all the advice. Just a couple more questions. I've actually already been to exrx.net and have printed out some excercises that seem simple enough for me to figure out. As far as correcting muscle imbalances and lack of coordination and the like for 2 months how exactly would one do that? And how exactly would one do a higher rep version of HST if higher reps are more beneficial for beginners (and why is this?) Thanks again guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As far as correcting muscle imbalances and lack of coordination and the like for 2 months how exactly would one do that? And exaactly would one do a higher rep version of HST if higher reps are more beneficial for beginners (and why is this?)

THe best way to correct imbalances is to avoid them from the start- paying strict attention to form form is probably the best way, as is staying away from too many isolation lifts. Keeping in the high-rep weight ranges will also help- you'll get lots of practice on perfecting your form at a lighter weight, while benefitting your joints and connective tissue by bathing them in eau de lactic acid. Check the FAQ and threads about the benefits of re: 15s.

As far as how to do a high rep version of HST- just do 3-4 weeks of 15s. Actually, you might want to think about doing four weeks of 15s, consider it a practice period, take 9-12 days of SD, and then start your cycle per the usual program (2 weks of 15s, 2 weeks of 10s, etc.). Like Aaron says, do not worry about your maxes, either for the four weeks of 15s or your first cycle. Use these for learning your lifts, discovering what lifts you like and don't like, making sure your form is squeaky clean and all that. Then, at the end of your first full practice cycle, get your maxes, take a good SD of 9-12 days, and go for it, never forgetting what you learned in your practice cycles. In other words, take it easy, don't push (yet), pay attention to what your body's telling you, and you'll have many happy cycles of HST!

Keep in touch- let us know how you're doing, what you're thinkiong of in terms of a program, etc.
Jake

Jake

Yep, I like Jake's idea of 4 weeks of 15s to start, followed an SD period. Think that'll be just the thing to get you up and going.

Do pay special attention to the need to start with light weights, otherwise you will likely get very sore (especially plausible since you haven't weightlifted before). Believe me, you don't want to get so sore that you cannot do your next workout. I've had that happen, and it's a big bummer...

Perhaps, after one or two successful workouts, you can begin incrementing the weights upwards a bit (e.g., small increments just to make things exciting). Just be sure that once you get to 15 reps, you stop even though you think you can do more!!!

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

Hi vomit (interesting choice of a screenname) and welcome to the forum.
To add my two cents in, I also agree with Jake in making sure your form is correct, as well as letting your muscles get used to the lift you are performing. 3-4 weeks of 15's is an excellent way to start. I would add this: Give yourself some progression of weights during these weeks so as to keep your muscles, and your mind, active. This at least will allow you to feel that you're getting some results whilst learning form. I'm not talking a lot of weight progression, perhaps 5 lbs per lift per day or even every other day (pretty much what navigator said. Sorry navigator. Didn't read it until after this was written
butbut.gif
).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChuckGrill @ Sep. 24 2003,11:30)]pretty much what navigator said. Sorry navigator. Didn't read it until after this was written
butbut.gif

Not a problem. Better to have more opinions than too few, I think...

:D

Again, can't thank you guys enough for all the help. I'm sorry though, I do have just a few more questions, if you guys don't mind. Okay, first off, I'm not sure if this is obvious or not, but how many sets would that be during the 4 weeks of 15s? And someone mentioned avoiding isolation excercises. Should they all be avoided? I'm not too keen on using machines, as they seem complicated, but was wondering if free weights or machines are better to use? All right guys, thank you, I'm going home for the weekend and planning to start all this monday when I get back to school.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how many sets would that be during the 4 weeks of 15s?

Stick to two sets per lift- so for you, between 10 and 16 sets total would be a good place to start. That's 5 to 8 lifts- not too complicated, as long as you select reasonable lifts (no, a front squat is probably not a reasonable lift for a beginner...)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And someone mentioned avoiding isolation excercises. Should they all be avoided?

That was me. You don't have to avoid all isolation lifts, but many people, especially beginners, feel they have to isolation themselves to death. Don't fall into that trap- it is easy to get over trained and I think easier to develop assymetry when isolation lifts are such a large part of a program that the compounds are ignored.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]was wondering if free weights or machines are better to use?

Hoo boy- there have been a number of threads on this topic, and I think ultimately the jury's still out on this one. IMO, though, I feel that free weights are definitely the way to go, but that's just me. I've used machines before, and actually like some of them, but I feel that I get a better workout having to recruit all the synergists and assisting groups that may not be recruited on some machines. On the other hand, some feel very strongly that for beginners machines have a lot to recommend them because it's harder to get hurt on them. Again, my opinion, but I feel that it's important even (especially) for beginners to learn proper form and deal with lifts in a three- dimensional space- to me I guess it's sort of a Zen thing, but to each his/her own, and I certainly wouldn't argue with a machine-lover (except maybe at 2am over a Schlitz
tounge.gif

Jake

Back