Alternatives to the HSN Supplements

TightHandlez6

Hi! OK, i aint gonna front.........my momma wont let me buy the supplements.........so.....are there any "temporary" (before i turn 18) alternatives?:confused:' I mean in terms of foods....like what would be an adequate pre-workout and post-workout meal, and would have approximately the same nutritional values as the supplements. I knwo its gonna b less effective than the actual supplements, but still, I would really appreciate some help!!! Thankx

Food is not less effective than supplements. It's more effective. The reason most people use supplements is that they find them convenient when they are too lazy to prepare something to eat.
Pre-workout: egg whites/low fat yogurt + fruits/juices
Post-workout: Turkey/chicken + boiled potatoes/rice/bread
There is a thread about some good food choises you can make.

As Micmic said just stick to good, wholesome foods, especially at your (perceived) young age. Worry about supplements later, they make the 1% difference.

Ask your mom to get you multi-vitamins/minerals so you know your getting them all. Then you don't have to make your diet as varied. You can eat the same thing most of the time. This makes counting calories much easier. Speaking of calories, I suspect you're trying to gain size....so just make sure to eat enough total calories, and enough protein. Everything else will take care of itself. Supplements are a convenience item, not a mandatory item. I make good progress without supplements. I take vitamins.

Dear Haiyai,

You might wish to include crude whey powder. See if you can get this from your local bakery supplies shop.

If possible, taking a fast-digesting protein a half hour before working will ensure saturation of amino acids in the bloodstream. This state of hyperaminoacidemia makes for much better muscle-building especially when combined with the increased perfusion of muscle when working out. The best protein for this is whey.

Crude whey powder should be quite cheap and you could possibly obtain this by the sackful for a few bucks a sack. Note though, that it can be high in lactose and possibly, fat, so ask if there is a low-fat/lactose version. Nowadays, even cake baking and whatnot recognizes the apparent value of not having fat or any possible allergens in their products.

Mix your crude whey with water in a blender. Drink this a half hour before working out and perhaps, after working out.

Meanwhile, do try to educate your mother. Perhaps, the baby needing baby-food analogy would do good. A baby could feed on baby formula (I shan't go into the evils of baby formulas now) but also, a body-builder needs such formula too. Tell her these supplements are but milk with the casein, fat and lactose removed, so it's low fat, and won't cause lactose intolerance or casein poisoning :)

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You might wish to include crude whey powder.
Ummm, I wouldn't suggest this at all (read: bad idea IMO). Stick with food or an inexpensive whey protein concentrate. Raw whey is full of lactose and other crap that is almost impossible to digest. Though Dianabol means well, not too many people could handle it. Depending on your age, get a job and buy your own supplements. Or if it's a matter of mom just not wanting you to buy the supplements then show her the "light" and print off some articles showing their health benefits. Both Bryan and Will Brink write some very good stuff on protein and diet. If that doesn't work, break down and get a new mom LOL

I've used supplements for the better part of my 20's. Now at age 38, I don't see the need. I don't rush around and have a million things to do like when I was a college student. Back then, the supplements were a convenient way to eat. But now, I rely on whole foods. IMO works just as well as supplements.

Back