Arachidonic Acid

Jon Stark

A couple of companies are coming out with arachidonic acid (AA) supplements. I just thought I'd start a thread where we could discuss this.

The basic idea, as I've seen it described, is AA is released from muscles when they are stretched, and the AA converts to prostaglandins, and this triggers protein synthesis. So because as we all know more is better (kidding), if you take in levels of AA you can't get out of a normal diet, you might accelerate protein synthesis.

I actually haven't read much on this yet. Not planning on trying it. But I was still curious to hear other peoples' comments.

Why would anyone want to add arachadonic acid to their diet?

1) The involvement of additional AA in the stimulation of protein synthesis (Via Pg) will be small. (dose response)

2) you better stop taking your fish oils, as they will directly compete (and the enzymes like them better) with AA for conversion into the Pg

3) dont take any COX inhibiters

4) it would be cheaper to get a diet low in fish/n-3 fats and take in large amounts of n-6 fats. 42$ for 90 gelcaps (200mg). To get the 1.7g he keeps talking about would require an intake of 8.5 (say 8). Thats about 3.74 a day, for a supplement that is unproven. Why not just take steroids?

5) while Bill L has stated in his article that relatively short term supplementation (1.7g / 50days) showed no effect in cholesterol levels (well duh, AA is an n-6 fatty acid and it will lower LDL quite comfortably), this isnt the risk concern of a diet rich in n-6 fats. AA converts into pro-thrombotic prostaglandins, which unfortuantely create higher risk for thrombosis there fore heart disease (this is predominantly why n-3 fats lower heart disease risk, lowering thrombogenic risk). AA also converts into the thromboxane (TXA2) and the leukotriene (LTB4), both of which stimulate the release of TNF-alpha and IL-1beta, pro-inflammatory cytokines that have multiple direct effects into heart diease, or more indirectly thri the stimulation of IL-6 production in the liver/endothelial cells/adipose. IL6 can lead to multiple effects, that wont show up from short term supplementation, but more along the lines of
Insulin resistance, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, edothelial disfunction, and via Il6 stimulated C reactive protein, monocyte recruitment, increasing ICAM/VCAM, increases uptake of LDL by macrophages, activates complement, and colocalise the membrane attack complex. All of which leads us to the final result of Atherosclerosis.
(basically a quick rundown of the 'inflammatory' theory of heart diease.)

6) AA is NOT essential, as it can be created in the body, linloeic acid is the essential fat related to AA

7) No research showing increase AA intake will increase muscle mass

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ May 12 2003,8:53)]7) No research showing increase AA intake will increase muscle mass
You make some interesting points, #7 of course being a crucial one. (Because -- for better or worse -- lots of people would risk heart disease to get "hyooge".)

Back