Basic Nutrition Questions

tonholas

Here I am again, the swimmer who will start to bodybuild.

My first question is about protein and amino acids.
I see bodybuilders eating a freakshly huge amount of protein in their diet and I am wondering how much of that protein can the body really absorb.
So, how much of the protein intake is myth how much is true and does anybody has research data to back up a suggestion for daily protein intake?

My second question is about supplements. Bryan Haycock redommends his supplements and I would gladly purchase them, even if it was just to help him out with is research.

But, in the country I am currently residing, I have no access to reliable supplements. So, if I substitute the supplements for real food, how would a pre and pos-practice meal look like?

Hey tonhola.
biggrin.gif

1 You dont need to eat as much protein as you think. If you get enough calories, keeping at the back of your mind that protein is important, you'll get enough protein.

Read Bryans eating for size article, its in the articles section of this website
biggrin.gif

Both your pre and post workout meal should contain carbohydrate and protein, with more carbs than protein. Byran wrote about that too. You should read it.

simple suggestion, oats, bananas and milk
biggrin.gif

I forget where but...i read that you can only digest around 40 grams of protein within a certain amount of time (as in one meal). I am sure that is more dependant on your LBM.

Even if that isn't true, the only real times large amounts of protein should be consumed is when you wake up, pre/post workout, and maybe some quality micellar caseins before bed. Pasturized milk isn't going to do you any good because these are destroyed during the heating process. Raw milk is the only real benificial type of milk and it is illegal to commercially sell it in the U.S.

You really need to figure out what works best for you in terms of macronutrient ratios.

Sorry about the double post. I just wanted to add that milk isn't terribly bad because not all of the aminos are destroyed but the kind that are recomended before you go to sleep are.

Here is how i eat:
Wakeup- I make oatmeal in water and then when it is ready to be eaten, i add a serving of whey protein and a tiny bit of milk just to remoisten it.

About 2 hours later I drink a protein shake.

During lunch I eat some Boarshead-golden classic chicken rolups with avocado.

I eat some raw almonds as a snack

I go home and cook a a lean piece of meat with maybe some brown rice with green and red peppers with jalepenos. These kind of peppers boost your metabolism according to www.nutritiondata.com

I drink my gaspari superpump with some creatine and workout.

Post i drink a whey protein shake along with another serving of creatine and some carbs to restore glycogen levels.

Thanks for the advice style...

I've read both articles, but it's so much information, I guess I didn't keep enough in my mind.

Cova, I have no access to suplements where I am, as I told you. Besides that, I couldn't go on a diet with shakes for the world... nothing substitute the good rice, beans, meat, eggs, chicken and pasta in my life.

I don't care how much I can gain drinking shakes... they taste terrible! I just can't drink a shake instead of eating homemade tasty pasta with meatballs... man, no way!

Most protein we eat is used as energy, only a very small amount is turned to muscle, however, the more protein we eat, the higher the signaling mechanisms become to build muscle from protein.
Most of the protein that is synthesized is actually protein from your muscles recycled. And basically, as long as your body has protein from food around, the less recycling of your muscle protein, which will mean a better protein balance.

<div>
(tonholas @ Nov. 26 2006,02:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for the advice style...

I've read both articles, but it's so much information, I guess I didn't keep enough in my mind.

Cova, I have no access to suplements where I am, as I told you. Besides that, I couldn't go on a diet with shakes for the world... nothing substitute the good rice, beans, meat, eggs, chicken and pasta in my life.

I don't care how much I can gain drinking shakes... they taste terrible! I just can't drink a shake instead of eating homemade tasty pasta with meatballs... man, no way!</div>
Haha, i apoligize for not getting more into the normal foods i eat. I eat a ton of meat everyday. Since you dont have access to supplements, you should eat a good bit of lean red meat and maybe salmon(my fav fish).  

I make omelets with garlic powder, sea salt, cracked black pepper, and green/red peppers-no cheese. I use a lot of peppers in my foods because they actually have a thermogenic effect and i love the taste.

I have gotten to where I know the amount of protein in foods that do not have a Nutrition Facts label which has helped me a lot.

I eat pasta sometimes on days that I have taekwondo but I dont eat meat with it because the combination of processed carb and meat interferes with digestion which can take up to 13 hours.

As far as cleanliness of food-Lean meats and nothing in a box(except supplements which come more in a jar
tounge.gif
)

<div>
(Cova @ Nov. 25 2006,18:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I forget where but...i read that you can only digest around 40 grams of protein within a certain amount of time (as in one meal). I am sure that is more dependant on your LBM.

Even if that isn't true, the only real times large amounts of protein should be consumed is when you wake up, pre/post workout, and maybe some quality micellar caseins before bed. Pasturized milk isn't going to do you any good because these are destroyed during the heating process. Raw milk is the only real benificial type of milk and it is illegal to commercially sell it in the U.S.

You really need to figure out what works best for you in terms of macronutrient ratios.</div>
Myth #2: You can only assimilate 30 grams of protein at one sitting.

Fact: The body has the ability to digest and assimilate much more than 30 grams of protein from a single meal.

Speaking of high intakes of protein, people have been perpetuating the myth that you can only assimilate ~30 grams of protein at a time, making protein meals any greater than a 6 oz. chicken breast a waste. This is anything but true. For example, the digestibility of meat (i.e. beef, poultry, pork and fish) is about 97% efficient. If you eat 25 grams of beef, you will absorb into the blood stream 97% of the protein in that piece of meat. If, on the other hand, you eat a 10 oz steak containing about 60 grams of protein, you will again digest and absorb 97% of the protein. If you could only assimilate 30 grams of protein at a time, why would researchers be using in excess of 40 grams of protein to stimulate muscle growth?1

Critics of high protein intakes may try to point out that increased protein intake only leads to increased protein oxidation. This is true, nevertheless, some researchers speculate that this increase in protein oxidation following high protein intakes may initiate something they call the &quot;anabolic drive&quot;.13 The anabolic drive is characterized by hyperaminoacidemia, an increase in both protein synthesis and breakdown with an overall positive nitrogen balance. In animals, there is a correspondent increase in anabolic hormones such as IGF-1 and GH. Though this response is difficult to identify in humans, an increase in lean tissue accretion does occur with exaggerated protein intakes.14,15

The take home message is that, if you are going to maximize muscle growth you have to minimize muscle loss, and maximize protein synthesis. Research clearly shows this is accomplished with heavy training, adequate calories, and very importantly high protein consumption. This means that meals containing more than 30 grams of protein will be the norm. Not to worry, all that protein will certainly be used effectively by the body.

Back