calories and hst individual blocks

I

imported_hym

HI everyone

i am new to this forum , any one from the u.k like me?

my question has been bugging me for a while and want other peoples views etc .( especially Brians , if possible , please Brian its my first post your feed back would be much appreciated )

when eating to gain l.b.m you obviously increase enrgy in etc but I have always had this belief that you only increase calories when you are training really hard .

For example if you are not giving it your all the increase calories will be turned into a higher % of body fat compared to when your body needs those extra calories to grow when it is being trained with high int ( effort not % 1rm ) .

This would mean during Brians h.s.t schedule I would only increase calories and gain weight in the last week of each rep block as that is when int ( effort ) is at its highest with th e last workout being the most important one !!

As the first 3-5 workouts are below your max (ie) not giving it your all ( I understand why , cycling int etc )) . Would sticking to a total increase in calories during the the whole 2 week block cause unwanted increase in body fat :confused:

Like wise if I wanted to gain say 7lbs ( realistic goal ) during my first h.s.t cycle (ie) 3-4 2 week blocks would I work out want daily increase i would need say for example 600 cal and eat that daily for the whole 6-8 weeks .

Or would you only up your calories by a larger amount like 1000 - 1200 cal a day during the 3 weeks of max effort during the cycle , 1 week for each rep range block ??

I think sticking to a steady increase of calories through out the cycle ( 6-8 weeks ) would probably make more sense . As increasing calories too much for short period would cause increase in body fat ( I am sure some anabolic burst cycling fans will be angry as hell now as the whole principal is based on overeating for two weeks etc , )

What does everyone else think?

Would I be right in saying that the body will use the extra nutrition to build muscle even in the time frame when sub max weights are being used etc (ie) you still build muscle during the sub max weeks as your body has planned rest to recover from last max int period of training and uses this time to build muscle to adapt ready for the next period of planned max effort ?

Everyones feedback is much appreciated !!!!!!

Thanks guys

hym

i

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think sticking to a steady increase of calories through out the cycle ( 6-8 weeks ) would probably make more sense . As increasing calories too much for short period would cause increase in body fat ( I am sure some anabolic burst cycling fans will be angry as hell now as the whole principal is based on overeating for two weeks etc , )
This line of thought is correct. A steady increase would be advised over an acute increase in calories. For one, an increase of merely 250 kcals a day may add the desired muscle to your frame without the added bodyfat. Only increase calories to a level where you can make steady increases in muscle mass with little fat accumulation. Initially, the increase in calories may cause you to lose weight or lean out a bit more, depends on your thyroid, so it is best to be consistent with your calorie intake versus only ramping up calories close to your max days as you eluded to in your e-mail. Good luck.

Biz

Thanks so much for getting back to me about my question !!

I really appreciate it .

hym

just out of interest how many calories do you increase on a daily basis for the whole training block (ie) 6-8 weeks when you are increasing lb.m ??

I realise everyone is different just would be interested to know .

Do you think gaining 1 lb a week is a good starting point or do you shoot for 2lb a week etc ?

1-2 lbs. a week is ideal. Much more than that and you will likely be holding water and beginning to store more fat. An easy way to adjust calories up or down is by 50 kcal a day for five days, then hold steady at that level for a bit and see how your body responds. This is not an exact science, more of a personal preference. It gives you more control over minimizing fat accumulation being you are making small adjustments over five days instead of one big adjustment. If, after sitting on your new calorie intake for a week or so, you do not notice an increase in bodyweight or measurements, then you can begin to increase kcals again.

By the way, your welcome...
thumbs-up.gif

Back