Calories needed for recovery??

jhatcher

So let's assume my BMR is approximately 2000 and my cal needed for growth is around 3000
(using the simple 11xBW and 17xBW)

And lets say I'm wanting to put on about a pound a week to minimize fat gain which means I'd need an extra 3600 cal a week

I'm working out on MWF (full body) and wondering how many cal I need on my off days directly following workout days to recover properly...

So would I equally divide the extra 3600 cals over all 7 days?

Or would I add an additional 1200 to my 3 workout days which gives me about the same 3600 extra weekly cals but leave all off days at maintenance?

and if you say no maintenance is not enough cals on the days off to recovery properly i ask you this...how many calories above maintenance is needed on off days to recover? since theoretically i AM getting my extra 3600 cals per week

*side note I did not include extra calories I would burn working out just to keep things simple...I would obviously need to account for that when training but I wanted to make this not confusing

Divide evenly. You'll be growing on your off days so just eat surplus every day. Whatever minimal gain you could have (if any) while micromanaging calorie intake is not worth the hassle.

(Sorry for the hijack. Your question is about the same as mine.)

I know this may sound strange but which studies proof that more calories are necessary for muscle growth? Now I don't disagree that someone with a very low body fat percentage and has eaten too little for most of his life does not benefit from weightlifting and increasing calories, but where is the scientific proof?

Some writers, like Brad Pilon, mention that beginners benefit from more calories but that this benefit is short lived. An advanced trainee wouldn't experience such benefit from increased calories only fat gain. I am not sure if he and others are right about this point, but I can't find the research that proofs extra calories increase the rate at which muscle mass is gained in trainees past the beginner phase.

By my own experiments I learned that I can increase this "muscle gain rate" eating lots of butter and raw eggs. Eventually this type of eating results in eating more than my maintenance level. In contrast, when I eat more carbs to get above maintenance I only get fatter, not more muscular. So in my case it seems nutrients matter way more than calories.

Any one got ideas? (Or better: research)

Back