Can fish oil be taken all at once or should it be

Dear Ruhl,

Fish oils are best taken all at once, and if possible, with a high-carb meal too.

This will increase chances of the EFAS getting past the liver in order that it might reach various cells to work its magic. The carbs via its expected insulinogenic nature will aid in the EFAs getting to your fat cells through insulin-mediated pathways.

Take no more than 6gm a day of fish oils unless you want to risk immune suppression. Also, with 6gm of fish oils I'd take 3gm of Evening Primrose Oil. This tends to be the ratio found in Udo's choice and other "balanced" EFA blends, but you can balance it yourself as I have recommended.

For more information on supplements, do have a thorough read of the supplement FAQ.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 06 2004,11:07)]Fish oils are best taken all at once, and if possible, with a high-carb meal too.
Why do some bottles recommend "three times a day, preferably after a meal" ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 06 2004,11:07)]Dear Ruhl,
Fish oils are best taken all at once, and if possible, with a high-carb meal too.
This will increase chances of the EFAS getting past the liver in order that it might reach various cells to work its magic. The carbs via its expected insulinogenic nature will aid in the EFAs getting to your fat cells through insulin-mediated pathways.
Take no more than 6gm a day of fish oils unless you want to risk immune suppression. Also, with 6gm of fish oils I'd take 3gm of Evening Primrose Oil. This tends to be the ratio found in Udo's choice and other "balanced" EFA blends, but you can balance it yourself as I have recommended.
For more information on supplements, do have a thorough read of the supplement FAQ.
If you are going keto it will make no difference when you are taking fish oils. Dianabol, what is your rationale for taking fish oils in one concentrated dose? Doages as low as 1g/day have shown positive CVD benefits. 6g for partitioning effects.

wow.gif
7-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 06 2004,11
wow.gif
7)]Dear Ruhl,
If you are going keto it will make no difference when you are taking fish oils. Dianabol, what is your rationale for taking fish oils in one concentrated dose? Doages as low as 1g/day have shown positive CVD benefits. 6g for partitioning effects. Also any supp with an oil blend is worthless unless it is the ONLY fat source in the diet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Doages as low as 1g/day have shown positive CVD benefits. 6g for partitioning effects. Also any supp with an oil blend is worthless unless it is the ONLY fat source in the diet.

Just to clarify, are we talking 6g of EPA+DHA, or just 6g of total fish oil?

Let me do a multi-reply in this one post, if I might be so bold:

1. Why do some bottles recommend "three times a day, preferably after a meal" ?

>>> Legal reasons maybe? Some bottles seriously under-recommend the therapeutic dosage, so we must know how much to take any why we are taking the substance in the first place. Some protein powders recommend you take it once a day, some up to six times a day - I take what I like depending on my needs and of course, within safe limits :)

2. If you are going keto it will make no difference when you are taking fish oils. Dianabol, what is your rationale for taking fish oils in one concentrated dose? Doages as low as 1g/day have shown positive CVD benefits. 6g for partitioning effects.

>>>> My reply really was in context to Ruhl's question of "Can fish oil be taken all at once or is it best to spread it out over several meals?" In order to get the fish oils past the liver, ideally, we take the fish oils with carbs and even, protein. The carbs and protein would keep the liver busy and in this way, we are hoping that the Omega 3s make it past the liver. In a similar vein, taking a bigger dose helps increases the chances of the O3s making it past the liver - on a per unit time basis, assuming the liver already has to handle incoming protein and carbs, some O3s would be taken down. So not only do we keep the liver busy with carbs and protein, we overwhelm it with the maximum safe dosage in order to get as much of this safe dosage past the liver, and thus my rationale for taking all 6gm at once with a carb and protein meal. If you are on a keto diet, take it with a meal of of fast protein. Again, the fast protein should keep the liver busy, in this way most of the O3s can make it past the liver. If not, just take it after any meal and it should be fine.

You are right, in that, even 1gm/day will have some benefit. This is in accordance to people get their O3s from fish alone. To be honest, what if a person's only source of O3s is from fish alone, which is perhaps, a miniscule amount compared to a supplemented 6gm a day? I would safely say some benefit will still be reaped, but perhaps, not quite so rapid as taking the max "safe" dosage of 6gm per day. There are aggressive fish-oil therapies out there that prescribed up to 20gm per day for heart and vascular disease patients... at the expense of being much more susceptible to illness but this would be a question one's cardiologist will have to justify.

3. Also any supp with an oil blend is worthless unless it is the ONLY fat source in the diet.

>>>> This must be with regards to having a correct ratio of O3s to O6s to O9s. I understand the concern as to keeping this perfect ratio for good health, as espoused by Udo and several others who are justified, in part or whole as to their concern with such ratio. In practice, this can be difficult if not downright impractical. On a daily basis, I take 6gm of fish oil and 3gm of evening primrose oil, and this is on top of the fat intrinsic to my lean meat and the fat for some of my other supplements that are dissolved in a variety of oils (soybean oil, wheatgerm oil etc). I wouldn't go overboard with maintaining a perfect textbook ratio - it just can't be done. Rather, I know that if most of the time, I'm within a safe zone, I should be fine. Being in the safe zone for me means eating the leanest of meats and not adding fat to my food even when on a bulking phase.

4. Just to clarify, are we talking 6g of EPA+DHA, or just 6g of total fish oil?

>>> I am talking 6gm of fish oil in capsule form, not so much 6gm of EPA+DHA. Each gram of fish oil has 180mg of EPA and 200mg of DHA, from memory. At least, this is what seems to be the product breakdown across the board here.

This has been a fun post really :)

Back