carbing up = no definition?

jwbond

I have been cutting for a while now. I have been pleased to see my abs peaking out to say hello. Unfortunately, they disappear when I carb up (I do so every Sunday to keep my energy and metabolism up).

Any way around this?

Is it safe to assume that is how I will look when I go back to maintenance cals?

On my low carb days I have...

Breakfast:
1/2 cup oats
1 scoop muscle milk
1 scoop whey
5g creatine
(all in a blender)

Lunch:
Wheat tortilla w/ 23 net carbs
8oz turkey breast
light sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese

Post W/O:
40g whey
30g dextrose
5g creatine

Dinner:
2 fish filets (tilapia, salmon, mahi-mahi, chilean sea-bass, or tuna)
green peas
corn

On my "carb-up" days...

Breakfast:
3-4 eggs
3-4 slices canadian bacon
4 slices of toast

Lunch:
10 inch hoagie/sub or pasta & meatballs (large portion of pasta)

Post W/O:
40g whey
50g dextrose
5g creatine

Dinner:
Pasta & Meatballs (large portion of pasta)

Night Snack:
Cottage cheese w/ .5-1 cup of berries

I lose definition on the carb ups and would like to avoid it. Think it could be additional sodium, or is it simply additional water retention from the carbs?

It's most likely additional water retention. It's something like 3grams of water to 1gram of glycogen when it's replaced in the muscle after glycogen resynthesis. I've also read that there is actually more retention after you completely deplete glycogen in the muscles.

What diet are you doing? Lyle Mcdonald over at www.bodyrecomposition.com has some great low carb diet stuff like the Ultimate Diet 2.0. You could try the forum over there. I'm sure those guys will know what to do.

<div>
(jwbond @ Oct. 24 2007,20:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">On my low carb days I have...

Breakfast:
1/2 cup oats
1 scoop muscle milk
1 scoop whey
5g creatine
(all in a blender)

Lunch:
Wheat tortilla w/ 23 net carbs
8oz turkey breast
light sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese

Post W/O:
40g whey
30g dextrose
5g creatine

Dinner:
2 fish filets (tilapia, salmon, mahi-mahi, chilean sea-bass, or tuna)
green peas
corn

On my &quot;carb-up&quot; days...

Breakfast:
3-4 eggs
3-4 slices canadian bacon
4 slices of toast

Lunch:
10 inch hoagie/sub or pasta &amp; meatballs (large portion of pasta)

Post W/O:
40g whey
50g dextrose
5g creatine

Dinner:
Pasta &amp; Meatballs (large portion of pasta)

Night Snack:
Cottage cheese w/ .5-1 cup of berries

I lose definition on the carb ups and would like to avoid it.  Think it could be additional sodium, or is it simply additional water retention from the carbs?</div>
Meatballs&amp;bacon&amp;whole eggs carb-up foods do not be. Carb-up!=&quot;cheat&quot; day(screw you Mauro di Pasquale for instilling the idea that carbing up on Pizza and doughnuts is optimal:) ).

The premise of a carb-up is that you're fairly carb-depleted(good stuff like enzyme upregulation and preferential partitioning of nutrients towards muscle happens in this case). Now, depleting to any significant extent requires a somewhat extensive ammount of exercise(how are you training?). It's also best that one does a full-body-workout before the carb-up(before as in start carbing exactly after the workout).

Fat should be around 50g per 24-hour period when carbing-up, and preferably from mono and polyunsaturated sources like olive oil, almonds etc. Fructose and sucrose aren't your friends here, glucose and glucose polymers and starches are. So that dextrose should be handy, just like you should find your passion for pasta, white bread, rice, corn flakes and so on. Subjectively, one should stop carbing when water-retention/bloating becomes apparent(well, actually, before that but it's kindof hard:D ).

Don't train on the carb-up, try to do a power/heavy workout the day after. So try doing these things and see what happens.

Back