CLA quality

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ June 17 2005,1:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (semajes @ June 17 2005,12:10)]All right, sir.  I'll see your studies and raise you one.  The following is from the Bryan.  
"CLA does work in humans. Here are some references.
you will also note that I never said it doesnt work
1. Jiang J, Wolk A, Vessby B. Relation between the intake of milk fat and
the occurrence of conjugated linoleic acid in human adipose tissue. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 Jul;70(1):21-7.[/quote]
hmm
So CLA from dairy shows up in adipose
wonder what type of company I work for... :D
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. Berven, G., Bye, A. & Hals, O. et al. (2000) Safety of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) in overweight or obese human volunteers. Eur. J. Lipid
Sci. Technol. 102:455-462p.
no significant difference in bodyweight or BMI??
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
3. Blankson, H., Stakkestad, J. A., Fagertun, H., Thom, E., Wadstein, J. & Gudmundsen, O. (2000) Conjugated linoleic acid reduces body fat mass in overweight and obese humans. J. Nutr. 130:2943-2948.
a change.  Why did they not measure caloric intake... nice for intention to treat, but its a bit odd.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]4. Smedman, A. & Vessby, B. (2001) Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans-metabolic effects. Lipids 36:773-781.
5.  Kamphuis MM, Lejeune MP, Saris WH, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. The effect of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation after weight loss on body weight regain, body composition, and resting metabolic rate in overweight subjects. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 Jul;27(7):840-7.
6. Gaullier, J. M., Halse, J., Høye, K., Kristiansen, K., Fagertun, H., Vik,
H. & Gudmundsen, O. (2004) Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation for one year reduces body fat mass in healthy, overweight humans. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 79:1118-1125
7.  Gaullier JM, Halse J, Hoye K, Kristiansen K, Fagertun H, Vik H,
Gudmundsen O. Supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid for 24 months is well tolerated by and reduces body fat mass in healthy, overweight humans. J Nutr. 2005 Apr;135(4):778-84.
They are interesting (as most are commented in the reviews mentioned above), but grabbing the research that shows positive effects, without the work that shows nil effect creates an uneven picture.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This one has always befuddled me, they make the statement that LBM and FM changes weren't significant but reviewing their table it clearly shows that the vast percentage of the studies had positive effects in both weight lost and FFM gain. Granted some of the numbers over control were small but for those who are obese any positive is helpful IMHO. I guess it comes down to efficacy versus expense.
when combining the work it gets difficult.  They didnt perform a meta analysis but 4/12 with a significant response (figure one) means that its probably unlikely to show a significant effect when combined.  Hence, he said it wasnt significant.  OR at least thats how I read it
and the difference between rat and human is more than just thermogenic response.[/QUOTE]
True only 33% significant over control but 75% positive for Fat loss and LBM increase, strange. Anyway
dozingoff.gif

Back