correct bench press form

neville

Hi,

When doing bench press the grip should be just past shoulder width, my question is, should elbows be in or out. I have seen many conflicting instructions, now I am unsure what is best.

Thanks,
Neville.

elbows should be more out than in ... well in my experience, when i bench with elbows in...i feel my triceps working more than my chest...whereas, when my elbows are out, i can really feel my chest working the bench.

it doesn't have to be really pointing outward, as in elbows are almost in parallel with your shoulders... try to get your 'natural' form... check out the exercise execution page of www.ast-ss.com lots of great stuff there :) you might wanna try max ot out as well hehe :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (paowiee @ Sep. 24 2004,11:32)]you might wanna try max ot out as well hehe :)
Why bother
sad.gif
it's a glorified HIT program, strength maybe ? Hypertrophy :confused:

Check out this page

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress.html

Try and make your shoulder blades touch and keep them touching while pressing, you'll have to use less weight but your Pecs will get more effect.

hehe yeah well, i think it's a good program specially for those who are into "hardcore" natural bodybuilding...

i tried it out for a year and it worked for me :) but then i always found myself tired. it burned me out easily

with hst though...i got really good visible gains minus the burn out...which is a big plus for me hehe :) hst rules :)

Thanks for the info.
I did try Max-ot, found going to failure everyday would be too much for my CNS. I believe it is very effective, might suit a younger guy, HST seems perfect for me right now.

Neville.

Oh? That's kind've odd, to switch from inner to outer. How would that really function? Doesn't sound adequate, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Describe it in more detail, exactly. If you would?

More a powerlifting oriented style

The elbows in works best with a bench shirt, but even lifting raw, tucking the elbows allows less stress to the shoulder capsule.

On the way up, pushing it over the face and around 2/3 movement flipping the elbows out allows a much stronger lockout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Sep. 24 2004,5:59)]Try and make your shoulder blades touch and keep them touching while pressing, you'll have to use less weight but your Pecs will get more effect.

Do people do this, tucking their shoulders back? I have read it here and there but never really tried it much seriously, I'm wondering if its a good idea safety wise. I've had a few shoulder injuries and most recently a pec injury, so I've been questioning my form of late (cant bench now at all :mad: )

whether you are benching elbows out, or in. you should always retract the shoulderblades, and hold it tightly through the lift.

Back