Creatine again

semajes

Is creatine useful as a muscle sparing supplement during one's cutting phase? I don't want to spend money if I don't have to, but I tend to lose a lot of muscle while trying to lose fat. Opinions?

If you're losing too much muscle, your calories are too low; you are dropping weight too quickly. Shoot for no more than about 1 lb/week. That would be the first thing I'd look at.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (semajes @ Oct. 02 2003,3:26)]Is creatine useful as a muscle sparing supplement during one's cutting phase? I don't want to spend money if I don't have to, but I tend to lose a lot of muscle while trying to lose fat. Opinions?
Yes, creatine can be very useful during cutting. You want to push the heaviest weights possible (avoiding failure) you can while cutting to perserve muscle, and creatine should help you eek out a few more reps. Its also very cheap. Just use it all the time, 5 grams a day.

When you say to "avoid failure", are you saying that I shouldn't do a 15, 10 or 5 rep max? That's usually just about failure for me. Is that wrong?

Back