creatine cycling

Dear zevulfman,

There is no need to cycle creatine. There also is no need to load creatine.

On training days, take your creatine with your pre-workout whey, and on rest days, take the 5g too, but spread it out over the day.

If you want, on non-training days take 2.5g (half a flat teaspoon).

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ June 13 2003,4:35)]I would suggest to cycle it, like everything else. While it is considered one of the safest supplements, there have been some alarming studies.
this is the first i've heard about this concern...are there any other relevent studies?

This was a study in mice, but the creatine dose was comparable to what a human would take. See this article for discussion of the study. I don't know of any other studies, but then again there are not many studies investigating the chronic use of any supplement in humans (much more creatine, a rather modern supplement).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ June 13 2003,10:47)]This was a study in mice, but the creatine dose was comparable to what a human would take. See this article for discussion of the study. I don't know of any other studies, but then again there are not many studies investigating the chronic use of any supplement in humans (much more creatine, a rather modern supplement).
okay, i think that's about all i need to hear. lol, even the media, frenzied for negative information, doesn't appear to have latched onto this concern :)

firstly, creatine monohydrate is present naturally in various foods we regularly consume, eg red meat. secondly, for a 3 year old study, why haven't there been more followup studies? this sounds like comparable logic to the dead end 'creatine is carcinogenic!' scare france raised a few years ago.

i don't think there's a compelling reason to cycle creatine monohydrate use, other than to take it while lifting (ie why take it while strategic deconditioning).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i don't think there's a compelling reason to cycle creatine monohydrate use, other than to take it while lifting (ie why take it while strategic deconditioning).

Compelling no, there isn't. It's more of a general precaution that I strive to follow with everything (even foods). But keep in mind that studies about chronic effects of supplements are extremely difficult to conduct. And by the time they are available it may be already too late. Even drugs (= very well tested substances) have been revoked after many seemingly trouble-free years. The study cited is just an alert.

Back