Creatine, ZMA, etc.

jsraaf

Considering using some supplements to aid in my training & HST. I'm 40, a relative novice to lifting, and a little uneasy about these, however, as I'm not fully informed. I have read the "Creatine" article on this site.

Would like to get some more info on creatine & ZMA and their uses and benefits. "Everyone" seems to be touting creatine, but not that familiar with how it aids hypertrophy, and how it compares to ZMA. I realize these are different substances, with ZMA geared more toward increasing testosterone levels, but do they serve similar purposes? Would one consider using both, or what criteria would you use to determine whether to use either? Or would I better off, at this point in time, not using anything until gaining further experience?

Thanks in advance for info.

Creatine is simply the best supplement available (protien powder=food)
There is BULK research available in it, and even in a latest meta-analysis in the specific area of resistance training here shows that its one of the two supplements available with research behind them.
It increases cellular hydration (cell volumization) and increases muscle protein synthesis etc.

ZMA is minerals, pure and simple. While there is a large amount of research available on zinc and magnesium by themselves, there is no research that shows the expensive ZMA formulation is any better than generic zinc/magnesium supplements or food in general. Pure unadulterated advertising hype.

Thanks for the info, Aaron.

Don't you have to drink buckets of water while you're on the stuff, though?? That's what I've heard - though we should be drinking plenty anyway, it sounds like it can be a little uncomfortable if you don't get enough.

Back