Creatine

xahrx

Are there any studies comparing creatine monohydrate to tricreatine malate and which is better? My understanding is that tricreatine malate is water soluable and supposedly this makes it better as far as bioavailability goes.

Dear xahrx,

I can't think of any studies off the top of my head but I do recall the original studies proving the wonders of creatine were done with the monohydrate version.

The newer creatines are perhaps, scams. They are costly and whatever fractional benefit you get from them simply do not justify their inflated cost.

Monohydrate is water soluble too by the way - warm water works well. And even if it were not soluble, you still chug it down and it still gets absorbed - I still recall those days of having a sand-blasted mouth after downing some creatine :D

In fact, the original studies used tea if I remember right.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ June 22 2004,9:16)]The newer creatines are perhaps, scams. They are costly and whatever fractional benefit you get from them simply do not justify their inflated cost.
Monohydrate is water soluble too by the way - warm water works well.
Most of them are scams, they contain boatloads of chemicals with no proven benefits of any kind. I'm just interested in any advances and it seemed tricreatine malate might have been one. It is more expensive than monohydrate and I think dosing very high gets rid of the bioavailability issue. I'm just always interested and thinking.

As for the warm water, I had never thought of that. My creatine never seems to mix or dissolve, I've always got to stir or shake before I drink. You think that maybe if I heat up the water/creatine mix it'd dissolve? I'm looking to make a huge batch of my own creatine drink that I can just put into a bottle and take with me to work.

Greetings xahrx.

I'd be quite suspect of creatine that can only dissolve when the water-creatine mix is heated.

I'd normally add it to warm water and it mixes well. Even cold water has a good degree of dissolution save for a bit of it.

Interestingly, how much creatine do you intend to take a day? Are you embarking on any loading protocol? If I might be so bold, why do you wish to take a huge batch to work?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ June 23 2004,9:35)]I'd be quite suspect of creatine that can only dissolve when the water-creatine mix is heated.
why? It has little to do with the creatine. The solubility of almost any substance is increased with higher temperatures, it's simple chemistry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ June 23 2004,9:35)]Interestingly, how much creatine do you intend to take a day? Are you embarking on any loading protocol? If I might be so bold, why do you wish to take a huge batch to work?
I'm only going for 10 grams per day. I just find it more convenient to carry it with me in one bottle, and I'm getting tired of people at work asking me why I keep shaking my water (quite a bit of the creatine settles on the bottom). It'd be convenient if I could just dissolve the stuff in some solution of some kind and fill my bottle every morning with the right dose.

Perhaps, you could stir in your creatine into your coffee/tea during your morning/afternoon tea-breaks :P

Or, carry a little tub of creatine with you and swallow it like medicine :D

The other solution is to have a bigger bottle of water - this will help dissolve more creatine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ June 24 2004,10:45)]The other solution is to have a bigger bottle of water - this will help dissolve more creatine.
This goes against my natural tendency to make things as difficult as possible. Neat, but difficult.

Back