Dieting during the same programme

bodyguard

I have problems with my weights when I am dieting. I cant hardly finish the set. Do you recommend reducing the weights during the cutting fase?

Special today I got really problems it was if I got sick during the workout.

What are you experience?

Dear bodyguard,

Because you are dieting your calorie deficit might be making you weak. Specifically, lack of carbs can greatly affect your performance.

You still can keep your overall calorie intake in deficit, but what you might wish to do is increase carb intake. Try taking 20gm glucose before and after your workout, see what happens. A slice of bread with breakfast and dinner won't hurt either. If you do take 20gm glucose before and after working out, and a slice of bread with breakfast and dinner, it amounts to roughly 70-80gm carbs, which is no more than 320 calories. This gives you plenty of leeway for calorie adjustment with the other macronutrients.

Personally, I'd have a good whack of carbs after my workout. This would take the form of glucose powder, bread, juice or fruit. I don't overdo it though, and on the whole my diet can still be considered low-carb and in calorie deficit. I find that this combination works best for me in terms of appetite control and fat-loss.

Note that GLUT 4 transporters on skeletal muscle can be activated via non-insulin dependent, exercise-induced means. Of course, with ingestion of carbs you get insulin release but this ties in nicely with stuffing your muscles with nutrients and also inhibiting cortisol release. Perhaps, the GLUT 4 awakening by exercise is the insulin-sensitizing action derived from exercise, and thus, even with post-workout carbs, your insulin secretion is much less because the GLUT 4s are already awake and sucking up the nutrients. This is good stuff when it comes to nutrient partitioning.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Back