EFA, CLA, and FAQ

semajes

I was just reading in the FAQ section about efa and cla and it reminded me of a question I never got the answer to (from back when I first got on this board). So here it is again: Do efa's have an effect on nutrient partitioning or fat burning, the way that cla does? The faq is unclear about that, but does say something about how they both act on ppar's.

I also don't know what ppar's are.
dozingoff.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (semajes @ June 08 2005,4:39)]I was just reading in the FAQ section about efa and cla and it reminded me of a question I never got the answer to (from back when I first got on this board).  So here it is again: Do efa's have an effect on nutrient partitioning or fat burning, the way that cla does?  The faq is unclear about that, but does say something about how they both act on ppar's.
I also don't know what ppar's are.  
dozingoff.gif
If I remember right they do. they have a mild effect on mitochondira and peroxiome (sp?) proliferation and activity, which helps burn fatty acids. I think this is the basis for the Designer Supplement product Melting Point, a fat loss product, which has been described as a modified efa complex. As for dosing to get that effect, I'm not quite sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (semajes @ June 08 2005,3:39)]I also don't know what ppar's are.  
dozingoff.gif
Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors

Members of the nuclear hormone receptor family of transcription factors that effect a variety of cellulr processes, including glucose and lipid metabolism. They act by binding to specific peroxisome proliferator-response elements (PPREs) on target genes. Of the forms of PPARs that have been described the one that has been studied the most, when looking at adipogenesis, is the last form Gamma.

Activation of PPAR-gamma induces the differentiation of pre-adipocytes into adipocytes and stimulates triglyceride storage. It's natural ligand is PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acid). Since EFA's are PUFA as is CLA it would stand to reason that PPARs would have an efect on both.

Wow. DKM, there was not one word in your post that I don't have to look up.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I think, though, that your answer was "yes"? :D

By the way, did you mean that it blocks storage of triglycerides? Stimulating storage of triglycerides seems like an undesirable effect.

No, I meant storage. Here's the thing, myoblasts and fibroblasts when forced by PPARs can differentiate into full blown fat cells(adipocytes).

How does it all fit, that would be more for someone like Aaron. I only know that there is research into modulating the mRNA content of PPARs to possibly slow or stop the differentiation into full blown adipocytes.

Back