Effects of OTC allergy meds?

Bobby Baccala

It's a bad allergy season this year and I find myself taking OTC meds on an almost daily basis. Does anyone know of any studies done on common allergy meds such as benadryl, sudafed, claritin, allegra, etc. and how they might affect training and nutrition? Most allergy medicines block histamine production in the body so I wonder if there might be side effects such as interfering with nutrient absorbtion or protein synthesis in the body. If anyone knows of any studies, please post them here.

Thanks.

Dear Bobby Baccala,

Many of these anti-allergies perform one or more of the following: 1) Inhibit formation of histamines 2) Breakdown histamines already produced 3) Inhibit inflammation 4) Agonizes with one's adrenergic receptors.

Sudafed (active ingredient: pseudo-ephedrine) peforms number 4 only and should not interfere with muscle growth in any way. In fact, pseudo-ephedrine can be considered the watered-down, castrated cousin of ephedrine and I do know some people who take Sudafed prior to working out.

Function 3, the inhibition of inflammation is perhaps contraindicative to muscle growth because as the HST FAQ explains, the damage and what can be said to be the accompanied cellular inflammation is what facilitates the growth of muscle.

Functions 1 and 2 are perhaps, wildcards in that unless we are absolutely sure that only histamines are being broken down and inhibited, we just be compromising the synthesis of other proteins, proteins that just might well be favourable for the purposes of muscle growth.

If you wish to clarify your personal picnic of OTC drugs, try doing a search on www.rxlist.com which will give you comprehensive information on your drug. A pity very little, if at all, of these drugs are tested for their effects on muscle growth and much of their effects on muscle must be infered from what is readily available.

When in doubt, stick with Sudafed.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

I know many people who struggle with local and systemic antiallergenics for months and months to no avail. If you visit a special doctor you may get a prescription for a corticosteroid which may be so effective that you'll have to use it only for a week or less. It's fairly often that subsided allergies don't reappear until next season.

Back