Fish oil content

robefc

Here I was happy in the knowledge that I'd put the last touches to my diet by adding fish oil capsules and flaxseed (not oil but pre-ground seed) and all the posts that came up when I searched under fish oil etc seemed to indicate that 3 or 4 fish oil tablets would be fine...for once no questions, everything sorted, nothing to worry about...and then I come across a post by vicious talking about the amount of EPA that is desirable...and it hit me-the number of capsules/grams of fish oil means absolutely b*gger all as the amount of epa/dha varies enormously...and to my dismay my capsules have only 180mg of epa and 120g dha...cue panic! If it's actually 3-4 grams of epa/dha that was being talked about then I'm going to be swallowing 10+ capsules a day!

So now I've looked up some pharmaceutical grade fish oil in the UK which I think will be ok, not sure if I want to take 1,800mg of epa as vicious does (if you're out there mate thoughts appreciated!) but definitely want to take enough to make a difference and ensure that it's high quality.

Both of the supplements in the link below seem fine to me although thre is little or no dha, does that matter? Is it only epa we're after? appreciate someone taking a look and reassuring me that they're fine and taking 3 or 4 capsules a day along with some flax will completely transform my body :D ....or at least sort out the omega 3 side of things!

http://www.healthyandessential.com/shop....s_id=47

http://www.healthyandessential.com/shop....s_id=67 :D

I apologise if anyone feels that fish oil questions have been done to death but I have searched a lot on the subject and thought everything was fine and this new realisation has suddenly got me all in a tangle.

Cheers

Rob

you can buy oils containing omega 3 6 9 in the uk holland and barret do capsules..or buy some udos choice oil..

Custom Nutrition Warehouse has a fish oil cap deal of 1000 caps with the standard EPA and DHA amounts of 180mg and 120mg respectively, which is decent. The price is 27.99 for the 1000 count. To get the amounts you want you'd have to take 13 to 14 pills a day, which means the 27.99 buys you a little more than two months supply which is not bad at all. Bulk oils or powders would work out a bit cheaper I'm sure, but there's no accounting for the taste.

I was trying to get enough fish oil/day and found popping fish pills all day was a lot more tedious than I expected. I switched to "Health From the Sea" liquid fish oil. It`s cheap at bb.com and 2 bucks cheaper at bulk nutrition. Price/gram it`s probably the most cost effective way to get EPA/DHA, it tastes really good and best of all, 2 tablespoons gets you pretty much all the EPA/DHA you need. No fishy burps either. Strongly recommend it.

Back