Fourth HST-cycle

<div>
(TunnelRat @ May 23 2008,6:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, your combat boots will throw the calculations off...
wink.gif
</div>
Oh, so thaaaaat's why... What if would just run over the scale with a tank, is that better?
smile.gif

All right, time for a little update.

First I should probably mention that the &quot;sex &amp; training&quot;-thread ( http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....t=14969 and http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=1187 ) inspired me to experimented a little with abstinence. Since I recently broke up with my gf anyway, I thought I might as well... I didn't count, but after about a week my gym performance went crazy - I managed to push my 15-rep-max by 40lbs on deadlifts. This, combined with an acne breakout and an irritable temper has led me to believe that there might be some truth to the study mentioned in that second thread. Even though there is always a placebo effect, I think my test level actually rose as well. After about ten days a bad case of painful testicular vasocongestion forced me to abandon the experiment.
biggrin.gif
Now I'm back to my old self, but I'll definitly keep this in mind when the heavy part of the 5's is coming up...

15 reps
Deadlifts 2x70kg (154 lbs)
Incline dumbbell press 2x16kg (35lbs per hand)
Dumbbell row 2x16kg (35lbs per hand)
Overhead dumbbell press 2x10kg (22lbs per hand)
Had to abandon pullups - my forearms were so worn out after the deadlifts I couldn't even get through the warmup set.

10 reps - first workout
Squat 3x80kg (176lbs)
Pullup 3x -15kg (33lbs assistance, last set clustered)
Dip 3x -10kg (22lbs assistance, also last set clustered)
Dumbbell row 3x19kg (41lbs per hand)
Tricep pushdown 2x21kg (46lbs)

My pullup is unreliable as usual. I'm thinking of doing it Max-Stim-style instead. Also, this workout took about one hour and twenty minutes - where did the time go? That's an average of over five mins per set... In my previous cycles, I've only done 2 sets for my 10's, that third set might be messing it up a little. Gotta be more economic with my time...

As for diet I've been a little lazy the last few days - mostly been drinking oatmeal and peanut butter-shakes. I love my blender. Trying to catch up a little on my studies though - exams coming up, and cooking just takes too much time at the moment. I'm getting my calories, so there shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't get stuck in the habit.

Cheers everyone!

<div>
(soflsun @ May 28 2008,12:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Glad you didn't let your nuts explode over the experiment.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Now THAT would be a spectacular sight. Unfortunately, I think T would not benefit greatly...
biggrin.gif

I'm a bit frustrated. My ex-gf has been packing and moving stuff out of my place the last few days, which has forced me to take an extra day inbetween workouts on two occasions. The &quot;schedule&quot; for my cycle is very tight - I go on board and start working (at sea, so I can't train then) just two days after my cycle is planned to end. Any more delays and I'll have stop short... Not a big deal perhaps, but anyway.

10 reps
Deadlift 3x75kg (165lbs)
Incline bench dumbbell press 3x19kg (42lbs per hand, last set clustered)
Seated cable row 3x37kg (81,5lbs)
Overhead dumbbell press 3x11kg (24lbs per hand)
Pullup 2x -15kg (33lbs assisted)

10 reps
Squat 3x85kg (187lbs)
Dips 3x -5 (11lbs assisted, last set clustered)
Pullups 3x -15kg (33 lbs assisted, last set clustered)
Overhead dumbbell press 3x 13,5kg (30lbs per hand, last set clustered)
Bent over dumbbell row 3x22kg (48,5lbs per hand)
(Squat form was a little dodgy today. My left knee bothered me a little)

I generally don't have enough energy left to do my arm isos/deep stretch - I can barely move the weights, which is a shame. My lagging arms are still not changing at all. Is it a bad idea at this point to do the isos first? I know that it generally is, bad I have to get them in there...
rock.gif

Also, as you can see I often do the last set clustered - I have to, as I can often just get the designated number of reps for the first set (even if the first set is fairly light, and even if I wait several minutes between sets). My understanding is that as long as I hit the target reps for the first set, I can cluster up the remaining ones as I please. Is this correct?

Cheers
/Minime

<div>
(Minime @ Jun. 02 2008,12:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I generally don't have enough energy left to do my arm isos/deep stretch - I can barely move the weights, which is a shame. My lagging arms are still not changing at all. Is it a bad idea at this point to do the isos first? I know that it generally is, bad I have to get them in there...
rock.gif

Also, as you can see I often do the last set clustered - I have to, as I can often just get the designated number of reps for the first set (even if the first set is fairly light, and even if I wait several minutes between sets).  My understanding is that as long as I hit the target reps for the first set, I can cluster up the remaining ones as I please. Is this correct?</div>
You are already working your arms hard on the compounds so it is not like you are not working them if you skip your isos. I just think that 3 sets of 10 and isos is too much volume. Doing isos first is not a good option as you end up using lighter weights on the compounds, or even missing them completely which is a no-no.

If you are getting 10 reps in the first set it is ok, but if it is not near the end of the mesocycle (near the RMs) it is a bit strange that you have to cluster the other(s) set. I don't think it is a big deal but have you tried resting a little longer between the sets?

<div>
(electric @ Jun. 02 2008,12:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you are getting 10 reps in the first set it is ok, but if it is not near the end of the mesocycle (near the RMs) it is a bit strange that you have to cluster the other(s) set. I don't think it is a big deal but have you tried resting a little longer between the sets?</div>
Thanks for the reply. 2-3 minutes is my standard time of rest between sets. Any more than that and the workouts pass the hour-limit...

<div>
(electric @ Jun. 02 2008,12:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You are already working your arms hard on the compounds so it is not like you are not working them if you skip your isos. I just think that 3 sets of 10 and isos is too much volume. Doing isos first is not a good option as you end up using lighter weights on the compounds, or even missing them completely which is a no-no.</div>
I didn't do any isos in my first three cycles. The reason I added them now is that my arms are lagging way behind the rest. I realize there is a risk of overworking them though. Perhaps doing three sets of ten is much? Before, I did 1 set for 15, 2 sets for 10's and 3 sets for 5's, but Soflsun suggested to me earlier in this thread that I do a little more volume, so I thought I'd try. So far it's been fine, even though the workouts tend to become a little bit long.

All right, been gone from the forums for a while. Been changing apartments, as well as temporarily moving to a different part of the country for summer. Here's what I've been doing training-wise:

Moved home to my father (living here over the summer, when working), thus having limited access to gym equipment. A barbell, a bench and some plates (about 80kg's worth of iron). So the heavy deadlifts got switched out, instead (for legs) I cleaned the bar and did ATG squats (and in the process ruining two pairs of pants
biggrin.gif
). Also didn't have a stable place to do dips, so I did decline and incline bench presses instead.

Finished the cycle a few workouts short because of work. Didn't gain a whole lot during this cycle, instead, I got really fat. Now about 16.5% BF. So I'm guessing it's cutting time.

SOO. My work schedule is one week on/one week off. On workweeks, I can't lift (I'm on a boat). Does anyone have any ideas how I should structure the rest of my summer, since I can only lift on the weeks I don't work?
I'm thinking, extra high frequency (lift every day) and cutting calories on my off-work weeks, and eating at maintenance or slightly above when onboard. I get lots of unintented cardio when working since I'm basically standing up or moving around, carrying heavy stuff, from morning to evening, so maintenance level when working is probably a little elevated.

Anyhoo. Hope you´re all having great weather and enough time to relax a little in the sun!

Cheers,
Minime

<div>
(Minime @ Jul. 09 2008,6:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anyhoo. Hope you´re all having great weather and enough time to relax a little in the sun!</div>
Keep in mind that it's winter for our friends in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa...
sad.gif

<div>
(Minime @ Jul. 09 2008,7:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">SOO. My work schedule is one week on/one week off. On workweeks, I can't lift (I'm on a boat). Does anyone have any ideas how I should structure the rest of my summer, since I can only lift on the weeks I don't work?</div>
Can't you lift an anchor or something?
smile.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 09 2008,11:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Keep in mind that it's winter for our friends in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa...
sad.gif
</div>
Oh, narrow minded me. Of course! Our friends south of the equator will have to wait half a year before sunbathing...

electric:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can't you lift an anchor or something?
smile.gif
</div>

I wish I could. They weigh like a couple of tons. We're dealing with ferries that take several thousand passengers and hundreds of tons of cargo
smile.gif
I'm usually too exhausted by the end of the day to even think about lifting something heavier than my own bodyweight, out of the shower and into bed.
biggrin.gif

Oh well. Did my plan look solid then?

<div>
(Minime @ Jul. 09 2008,6:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Oh well. Did my plan look solid then?</div>
I don't know that I would go high frequency if you're lifting every other week. Especially since your job sounds physcially demanding. Seems like you would need some recovery/ downtime.

It would be nice if you could squat heavy twice a week and deadlift heavy once a week during your off-work week.

Something like:
Mon/Fri
Squat
Bench
Row/Clean

Weds
Deadlift
OHP
Front Squat (if possible)

really, you should be able to maintain your strength pretty well. but, I would definitely use a low rep range (ramping up to top set or sets across, whichever gives you the best results).

I'm biased towards my preference, can't help that...but I do think it important that you maintain your strength until you can follow a structured program.

there's really nothing wrong w/ stretching the workout timeframe over the course of a given day, in order to help you recover enough to finish. In other words, in your position, I wouldn't be worrying about fitting a workout into an hour's time.

just some thoughts...

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jul. 09 2008,9:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't know that I would go high frequency if you're lifting every other week. Especially since your job sounds physcially demanding. Seems like you would need some recovery/ downtime.</div>
But is six workouts a month really enough to keep strength and mass? What if I would do monday to friday and rest on the weekend before boarding? Sure, work is physically demanding, but only cardiowise (standing/walking/carrying things around all day long - sore feet, in other words). My understanding was that cardio isn't nearly as tearing on the CNS as heavy lifting?

Back